My first post here, in search of answers. I inherited a pool from the previous owner. This is my first pool to setup, so I did my research, and wanted to go salt. I poured eight 40lb bags of Pool salt into my round 24'x4' pool, 15,000-ish gallons with a 150lb sand filter. I left the filter on, and the next morning the Test strips showed under 200ppm.***? It should have been over 3000, right? I assumed there was something wrong with the test strips, or perhaps it was not all dissolved, so I dropped in a pack of chlorine shock, and turned on my brand new Solaxx SALRET20A Saltron Retro generator, set for 20 hours per day runtime, and left town for a business trip. When I checked back again after 72 hours, the lights on the Chlorine Generator showed the salt level as "NORMAL". But the Test Strips still showed under 200ppm, and my total chlorine # was huge, way over 30. The rest of my chemicals ranged from "close" to "not even on the chart". It's been like this for 8 days now. Yesterday I reduced the # of operating hours on the Saltron to 5, in an effort to pull down the chlorine levels. The pool is sparkly clear and inviting, but obviously it's whacked out in some way.
So HOW can I be reading so little salt? I have recounted the stack of empty 40lb bags, and yes, there are 8 of them. Based on the test strips, I don't know what to add to this pool to balance it. I bought the SWG from Amazon, so I'm not in much of a position to call on the local pool company for help. Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.