Leaking Pump

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone. We got our pump new last August. Hayward "Voyager Swim Pro" or I think is a Power-Flo Matrix. This spring it is leaking out the bottom of the pump pretty good. Seem to be where the motor connects to the basket part. Noticed it a bit yesterday while I was vac/backwashing but really increased today as I was vac/backwashing again. Now it appears to be leaking even on the low speed.
Once yesterday while I was cleaning I did let the pressure go up to 20-21 from beginning pressure of 15. The outflow was pretty poor from the return so I backwashed. Well since then the leaking has gotten worse. Did that one time of increased pressure cause this?
Is this just a shaft seal and or housing O ring issue? I'm a bit surprised that we're having this problem already with such a new pump. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi, just wanted to follow up. I picked up a new shaft seal kit at local pool store yesterday for $20 and hubby replaced it last night. Our pool was about ready to overflow with all this rain. He says leak has stopped on the pump but I'll keep an eye on it again tonight when I get home. I just wanted to say thanks!! My husband was stressed out with construction of our deck and now I told him the pump was leaking.....this site is invaluable! I may pick up a go-kit online just to have on hand for cases like these.
I spoke with pool store folks and they mentioned that maybe my PH got too low since the seal went out so fast...I don't remember letting it get too low but thought I would add what they told me. They said that low PH will impact those seals.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.