Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time Opening Pool - Looking Green

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Opening Pool - Looking Green

I closed my pool last year by adding no additional chemicals other than raising the chlorine level and then covering it with the mesh cover. I looked in the pool maybe two weeks ago and the water was clear but I know there is some trash in there. Fast forward to today and when I took a look the water its green and i cant see to the bottom. I believe the water temperature has rose significantly over the past week or so and the water is now above 70.

Not really knowing what to do I thought about buying this kit. http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemic...hlorine-Shock/

Should I purchase the kit as there looks to be some stuff starting to form on the pool walls or should I just remove the cover, clean as much of the debris out as possible and throw the bleach to it?

Also, It's a 27k gallon pool with a DE filter, how much DE do I put into the skimmer? I heard 8 pounds. I know I'm going to need some calcium hardner as well since I lost water from some draining and rain over the winter.

Thanks in advance!
    27K Gal IG Pebble Stone, 1.5HP Century Pump, Polaris Booster Pump with 380 Cleaner, Hayward DE 4820 Filter, Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Opening Pool - Looking Green

How much DE you need for the filter depends on the size of the filter, not the size of the pool. Is there a label that states filter size in square feet?

I would use plain, unscented liquid bleach to clear the pool. Brush the sides, scoop out any leaves and debris, and follow the SLAM process .

Can you post a current set of test results? You may not need calcium increaser.

Looking more closely at the start up kit: 4 lbs of shock may not be enough, you probably don't need the stain and scale inhibitor, algaecide will not kill an algae bloom so you don't need that, and you don't need clairifyer, so to buy the size kit needed you would be paying 45 dollars for 4 pounds of dichlor. Since dichlor is the only thing in that kit that kills algae I would pass. I think you can find a better deal.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

First Time Opening Pool - Looking Green

No need for that start up kit. Follow the SLAM process.
    Get any debris out you can.
    Post a set test results if you can.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi zea3, it's a Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid 48-Square-Foot Vertical D.E. Pool Filter.

PH - ~8.2
    CL - 0
    TA - 60
    CA - 170
    CYA - 25
    27K Gal IG Pebble Stone, 1.5HP Century Pump, Polaris Booster Pump with 380 Cleaner, Hayward DE 4820 Filter, Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RUSigX View Post
    Hi zea3, it's a Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid 48-Square-Foot Vertical D.E. Pool Filter.

PH - ~8.2
    CL - 0
    TA - 60
    CA - 170
    CYA - 25
    You're in great shape!

Assuming the water is the right level and the pump is running, plug those numbers into PoolMath and target 7.2 on the pH. Add whatever acid it says to add in front of a return jet. Let it circulate for half an hour. Brushing helps disperse it, too. Recheck pH. You might need to adjust it again, because you might be higher than 8.2. If you're anywhere between 7.2 and 7.5, you're ready to go. If not, recalculate and add more acid.

Bleach!

Complete instructions are in the SLAM article. I suggest you study it closely, especially the prerequisites. There are no shortcuts, no easy work-arounds, and no miracle snake-oil chemicals. The only green they remove is in your wallet.

Some inspiration: First Time Shocking with Bleach
    Pretty black pool
    A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
    Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
    Before and After Pool Pics
    Before and after!
    A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, pool is probably 8 inches low at the moment with the cover still on. I will uncover it tomorrow and fill the pool and get the pump running. Looks like I just need to add the appropriate amount of acid and SLAM the pool with bleach.

How about the DE filter? How much DE do i need to add to a Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid 48-Square-Foot Vertical filter?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RUSigX View Post
    Thank you, pool is probably 8 inches low at the moment with the cover still on. I will uncover it tomorrow and fill the pool and get the pump running. Looks like I just need to add the appropriate amount of acid and SLAM the pool with bleach.

How about the DE filter? How much DE do i need to add to a Hayward DE4820 Pro-Grid 48-Square-Foot Vertical filter?
    If it was opened up and completely cleaned, 6 lbs. If just backwashed, 4.8 lbs. If you buy one of the cellulose replacements, follow the instructions on the bag.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...rid-DExx20.pdf
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!