Classic pool store moment - Leslies doesn't like BBB

Aug 22, 2007
Powhatan VA
I hope I'm in the correct forum for this ...

I went to Leslies to get a wall whale at lunch. (Saw they were on sale in another thread). This was my first trip so I asked Jonathan if they sold liquid chlorine. Jon and a buddy descended on me like wolves. It was the same conversation I've read here a dozen times, starting with 'You can't put that in your pool' (I laughed once and caught myself) and ending with 'well, ok'. During my systematic destruction of his arguments with my rudimentary knowledge of BBB, he did manage to ask "Did you get this from an internet chat room ?" to which I replied, "Yes, Troublefreepool.com, it's a good read for anyone with a pool". :lol: :lol:

Anyway, the best moment occurred as I was signing the receipt. A contractor had been standing next to me having a somewhat tense exchange with a clerk over returning a pump. He leaned over to me and said "Pressure Works on Roseneath" as he left. Sure enough, I looked them up, they carry chlorine in carbouys, but I don't have a price yet. Jonathan had pretty much had it with both of us and handed me my receipt with a terse 'thank you'. :lol:

Thanks TFP. :-D

Selling liquid chlorine in carboys requires having large storage tanks for the bulk chloirne, employees to fill the carboys at a filling station, and paperwork. You even have to track leaking carboys for the EPA. I know this because we have to do this where I work and we sell several pallets worth of 2.5 gallon carboys daily. They make more money on the trichlor with less work.

Believe it or not, the Leslie's over here does sell liquid chlorine. They sell 10 percent in 1 gallon jugs. And the salesman actually said "Yeah, it's bleach, just stronger." :) I did one of my "brainless moments", though. They sell it, 8 dollars for two one gallon jugs. Target, right next door, sells 6 percent for $2.28 for 1 1/2 gallons. I bought the Leslie's chlorine and then after I got home, I was thinking "8 dollars for 2 gallons means 4 dollars a gallon. They are 10 percent. Target is 6 percent, over half the strength, and you get 3 gallons for $4.56. Wait a minute!" :oops: Guess next time I have to do the math before I buy! :lol:

brianspool said:
tagprod said:
not to ask a a dumb question, but what's a carboy? I was just talking about selling it in a big jug. :-D

I didn't know either until I started reading TFP. It's just a large reusable container you buy once and then you can have it filled over and over again. 8)

Never even saw that word before I came to TFP :shock: :oops:

brianspool said:

"Did you get this from an internet chat room ?" to which I replied, "Yes, Troublefreepool.com, it's a good read for anyone with a pool". :lol: :lol:

Love the story! However, we are not a chat room (I will admit to having a crush on anyone who starts in on a intense chemical equation) we are an "Interactive Electronic Expert Pool Care Manual" :p

branchop said:
brianspool said:

"Did you get this from an internet chat room ?" to which I replied, "Yes, Troublefreepool.com, it's a good read for anyone with a pool". :lol: :lol:

Love the story! However, we are not a chat room (I will admit to having a crush on anyone who starts in on a intense chemical equation) we are an "Interactive Electronic Expert Pool Care Manual" :p

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

frustratedpoolmom said:
brianspool said:
tagprod said:
not to ask a a dumb question, but what's a carboy? I was just talking about selling it in a big jug. :-D

I didn't know either until I started reading TFP. It's just a large reusable container you buy once and then you can have it filled over and over again. 8)

Never even saw that word before I came to TFP :shock: :oops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboy\
The word carboy is from the Persian word qarabah which means big jug.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My Leslie's has no problem with liquid chlorine - they sell it!
As for the counter help, only the store manager has half a clue about what the store is selling. He doesn't own a pool, and doesn't know how to care for one. And fortunately he avoids any of the selling techniques employes by a nearby "Self-Chem" store. This place is clerked by highschool kids who are entirely clueless about anything other than operating the cash register and trying to get customers to buy unneeded chemicals.
It's a real pity that there is no place that respects the Customer and tries to help out.

Re: Classic pool store moment - Leslie's

I recall going to Leslie's when my pool was having problems. I very young-seeming girl tested the water and then rattled how much of each chemical I needed and what size container of each I needed to buy. Nothing made any sense.

I asked her how she arrived at each value and she rattled off some generic nonsense.

I asked her to take a pencil and show me how she arrived at each value based on my water test.

Ooops.

1. She was just making up the prescription in the absence of knowing anything about pool chemistry.

2. She was unable to perform rudimentary math with a paper and pencil.

Hey ... It's just a minimum-wage summer job.

Last time I got liquid chlorine I got it at Leslie's. I was in there anyway for Polyquat. I don't bother to say anything about BBB there. I did once amaze the kid at the counter when I explained the difference between FAS-DPD tests and regular DPD tests, though! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.