LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm following Richards approach to CA scale and am harvesting rainwater. My first test after harvesting revealed a TA of 50 (down 40%). I'm curious as to others experience with rainwater harvesting, asphalt shingles, and the overall effect on TA. Based on the CYA and CH dilution my first harvest replaced 25-30% of the pool water (WOOOHOO).

As always thanks for the help guys!

That is an amazing amount of water to capture. Rain water has little of anything in it, so you should expect to see a reduction in everything including TA. That is a really impressive amount of reduction.

I was surprised by the volume, the bigger surprise was the TA dropping more than the rest of the chemistry.

I'll grab some water coming off the roof next time to see what the levels are.

It will be little TA and CH. Pure rain water won't have either, anything that it does have will be from contact with surfaces and substances it encounters. When water evaporates, everything solid (dissolved or otherwise) is left behind.

I wish I could get enough rain to make a significant difference in things.

The shingle grit doesn't seem to mess with the chemistry or stain the plaster, but it is a bear to vacuum up.

The TA could have dropped some because of the aeration the rainwater did to the pool. When the surface looks like it's boiling, you know that's got to count as aeration!

Got missed by the last set of small rain clouds in the Houston area. Looks like I may have to give in and use city water to bring the level up a wee bit. I hate adding CH...

Richard, Does aeration actually impact TA? I was under the impression aeration moved the PH and acid moved TA and PH.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rainwater is rarely pure and rarely inert even before it hits the ground. Clouds form from vapor condensing around small particles in the atmosphere and as rain falls it collects even more particles that are suspended in the air. So technically, it can contain almost anything suspended in the atmosphere including pollen, mold spores, bacteria and smog which may even add to the chlorine demand. Sometimes I notice a larger FC drop after it rains.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/factsheets/Aerosols.html

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...here-might-affect-cloud-formation-and-climate

Grrrrrr. Looks like I may have to add city water, Holding out till thursday and the skimmers are off ... main drain only. WE NEED RAIN. And I'm obsessed with my CSI.

thanks for listening.

back to your regularly scheduled programming.

zu8y5a3a.jpg

And the water level this morning...
2a3ape4y.jpg

The radar ...
temesymu.jpg

Fingers crossed

:)

Glad I could put a smile on your Friday!

I've got plans for a diverter and a removeable section that goes straight to the spa. It's a little lower priority than some other projects...

y2y5e7az.jpg

Finally some rain.

The TA coming off the roof is probably 0 - It turned on the first drop

The Ph is 7.2

No real point in testing anything else, no CH no CL and no CYA unless something has gone horribly wrong in the atmosphere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.