Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainwater harvesting and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainwater harvesting and TA

I'm following Richards approach to CA scale and am harvesting rainwater. My first test after harvesting revealed a TA of 50 (down 40%). I'm curious as to others experience with rainwater harvesting, asphalt shingles, and the overall effect on TA. Based on the CYA and CH dilution my first harvest replaced 25-30% of the pool water (WOOOHOO).

As always thanks for the help guys!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainwater harvesting and TA

I use a kneehigh rubberbanded to the end of the tube to catch any grit from the roof. I also use corrugated tubing, which helps catch stuff along the way.

As to chemical variations, catch some rainwater from the tube and test it. That will help you plan for the minor adjustments after it rains.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

That is an amazing amount of water to capture. Rain water has little of anything in it, so you should expect to see a reduction in everything including TA. That is a really impressive amount of reduction.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

It was a proper gully washer. The catchment coming off of the roof looks like a firehose ... 4 or 5 hours of that.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

5. Back To Top    #5

I was surprised by the volume, the bigger surprise was the TA dropping more than the rest of the chemistry.

I'll grab some water coming off the roof next time to see what the levels are.

6. Back To Top    #6

It will be little TA and CH. Pure rain water won't have either, anything that it does have will be from contact with surfaces and substances it encounters. When water evaporates, everything solid (dissolved or otherwise) is left behind.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

I wish I could get enough rain to make a significant difference in things.

The shingle grit doesn't seem to mess with the chemistry or stain the plaster, but it is a bear to vacuum up.

The TA could have dropped some because of the aeration the rainwater did to the pool. When the surface looks like it's boiling, you know that's got to count as aeration!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

So do I!

However, at less than one inch for 2014 so far, it's a good thing I'm not counting on it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

Got missed by the last set of small rain clouds in the Houston area. Looks like I may have to give in and use city water to bring the level up a wee bit. I hate adding CH...

Richard, Does aeration actually impact TA? I was under the impression aeration moved the PH and acid moved TA and PH.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Got missed by the last set of small rain clouds in the Houston area. Looks like I may have to give in and use city water to bring the level up a wee bit. I hate adding CH...

Richard, Does aeration actually impact TA? I was under the impression aeration moved the PH and acid moved TA and PH.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!
    you are correct
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Rainwater is rarely pure and rarely inert even before it hits the ground. Clouds form from vapor condensing around small particles in the atmosphere and as rain falls it collects even more particles that are suspended in the air. So technically, it can contain almost anything suspended in the atmosphere including pollen, mold spores, bacteria and smog which may even add to the chlorine demand. Sometimes I notice a larger FC drop after it rains.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/.../Aerosols.html

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...on-and-climate
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Great article - thank you!

13. Back To Top    #13

Grrrrrr. Looks like I may have to add city water, Holding out till thursday and the skimmers are off ... main drain only. WE NEED RAIN. And I'm obsessed with my CSI.

thanks for listening.

back to your regularly scheduled programming.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would love to see pictures of how y'all are collecting this rainwater into your pools? <pretty pleaseeeeeeeee!>
    Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

And the water level this morning...

The radar ...

Fingers crossed

16. Back To Top    #16

It would seem that there is a large umbrella over my house. Lots of rain around ... just not here.

grrrr

17. Back To Top    #17

It seems there is hope for rain.

Numbers pre rain:
    Ch 550
    TA 50
    Ph 7.5

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    I nearly hurt myself laughing when I saw this. Reading from the front of the thread, I had imagined diverters, plumbing, big cisterns to hold the water, and pumps to get it into the pool. That's a great setup, and about 500x simpler than what I had in mind.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

19. Back To Top    #19

Glad I could put a smile on your Friday!

I've got plans for a diverter and a removeable section that goes straight to the spa. It's a little lower priority than some other projects...

20. Back To Top    #20

Finally some rain.

The TA coming off the roof is probably 0 - It turned on the first drop

The Ph is 7.2

No real point in testing anything else, no CH no CL and no CYA unless something has gone horribly wrong in the atmosphere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast