Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner- pump basket leaks on low speed?h

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner- pump basket leaks on low speed?h

Hi everyone,

First off, many thanks to the wealth of information that has been collected and shared on this site. I'm a new pool owner, and have learned a lot already.

I just had my 21' above ground pool installed this past Tuesday. The pool installer had to come back out because of some leaks I found from the pump and skimmer box, which he fixed. Now, however, my 2 speed hayward pump leaks from the basket lid, but only on low speed? I primed the pump... There is a quarter size air bubble in the basket.

Why would the basket only leak on low speed? I've read about luring the gasket for a Better seal. Is this something I may have to do even for new equipment?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner- pump basket leaks on low speed?h

Glad you're here!

When the pump is on high, are all the bubbles gone?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the pump basket leaking water out or air in? On low speed, an AG pump below water level would most likely have positive pressure in the pump basket so that is why I ask.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Glad you're here!

When the pump is on high, are all the bubbles gone?
    On low speed, the bubbles collect into one larger bubble. On high speed, the larger bubble is broken up into smaller bubbles, but they are not completely gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Is the pump basket leaking water out or air in? On low speed, an AG pump below water level would most likely have positive pressure in the pump basket so that is why I ask.
    On low speed, it is definitely leaking water out. But wouldn't it also leak out on high speed as well?

5. Back To Top    #5

Just guessing, but: On high speed the suction is probably strong enough to pull the lid down against the seal and cause it to seal properly. On low speed there is either less suction, or none, and the lid is not held on so tightly, allowing any play in the lid closing system to result in a leak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ahhh.... this makes sense. Is it normal to have to lube the basket gasket for a new pump?

7. Back To Top    #7

It wouldn't hurt anything to give it a little lube !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I should add.. the pool installer said it was normal for a few leaks since the temp here has had such big swings. I didn't buy it, which is why I posted.

I'll pick up some lube today!