Leaking Sand Filter

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
I noticed water pooling around the bottom of my Sand Filter. The sides of the filter are dry, with no obvious leaking from above, and the pump is dry. I have attached a pic of the filter with the damp area around the bottom of it. I won't get the pooling water until I turn the pump on. Any suggestions as to where the water may be coming from? Is there some sort of "plug" in the bottom of the filter?

Attachments

• PICT2105.jpg
    PICT2105.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 55
I have checked everything. Nothing leaking from around the top of the filter, pump is dry. Plug is dry. I was gone today for 5 hrs - I have attached pic of the water that has leaked during my absence. Pump is on a timer, so it turned on by itself - no standing water around the base of the filter when I left.

Attachments

• PICT2107.jpg
    PICT2107.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is what I have worrying about these past two days. Don't know how or why, but it is starting to make sense. I have no way of checking it out.....will have to call pool man. If it is a crack, I wonder if I could try spraying that "rubber sealer" stuff on it out of a can?

If there is a crack at the bottom of the filter then pressure is causing it to open up when the pump is on. Over time the crack will get worse until it is either leaking constantly or experiences a major failure. If you can post pictures of the plumbing that will help us help you determine the next step.

Good news! MY son came over to pick up my granddaughters and he went out to the sand filter and literally laid down on his belly to look underneath. It was the drain plug after all. He said I would never see it standing up or kneeling. Even though I ran my fingers along the shaft of the plug, I did not feel the water. He said water was actually trickling down from out the bottom of the plug, running underneath the bottom of the filter and coming out from under the filter "stand", making it look like there was a possible crack in the bottom of the filter. While he was down there, he also found the round "gasket" from the drain plug laying in the gravel. He put the gasket in, screwed it back on and no more leak. I should have been more persistent. I can now smile as I won't be calling my $350.00 hr pool people. Thanks to all of your for your wonderful help. Without this website, I would not be enjoying my beautiful sparkling pool, nor would I be able to do the opening and closing by myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.