Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking Sand Filter

I noticed water pooling around the bottom of my Sand Filter. The sides of the filter are dry, with no obvious leaking from above, and the pump is dry. I have attached a pic of the filter with the damp area around the bottom of it. I won't get the pooling water until I turn the pump on. Any suggestions as to where the water may be coming from? Is there some sort of "plug" in the bottom of the filter?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking Sand Filter

Have you checked the drain plug ? Start your pump and see if it's coming from there.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Like Jeff said, look for the black cap at the bottom of the filter body. I can't see it in the photo, so it must be on the other side.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

The drain plug is tight and dry
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

5. Back To Top    #5

I take it you drained it over the winter correct ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Absolutely

7. Back To Top    #7

Haven't overlooked rainwater, dew, sprinklers?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

No - pad stays dry until I turn the pump on. Never had this issue before. Water will pool around the filter and eventually, around the pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Check the plug again while the pump is running and make sure it is not seeping under pressure. Also check the plumbing around the pump and filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have checked everything. Nothing leaking from around the top of the filter, pump is dry. Plug is dry. I was gone today for 5 hrs - I have attached pic of the water that has leaked during my absence. Pump is on a timer, so it turned on by itself - no standing water around the base of the filter when I left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Unless there is small crack in the bottom I'm out of ideas.
    Jeff

12. Back To Top    #12

That is what I have worrying about these past two days. Don't know how or why, but it is starting to make sense. I have no way of checking it out.....will have to call pool man. If it is a crack, I wonder if I could try spraying that "rubber sealer" stuff on it out of a can?

13. Back To Top    #13

Leaking Sand Filter

I don't think that spay rubber seal stuff is an option if there is a crack.
    Is there anyway you can disconnect it and take a look at it yourself ?
    Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

Wouldn't have any idea how to go about it. I can do simple things, but have never disconnected any of the plumbing.

15. Back To Top    #15

Leaking Sand Filter

If you could post a pic of the plumbing to see if you have unions in place, we could help ya. If your not comfortable with it have somebody do it. Your call.
    Jeff

16. Back To Top    #16

If there is a crack at the bottom of the filter then pressure is causing it to open up when the pump is on. Over time the crack will get worse until it is either leaking constantly or experiences a major failure. If you can post pictures of the plumbing that will help us help you determine the next step.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Good news! MY son came over to pick up my granddaughters and he went out to the sand filter and literally laid down on his belly to look underneath. It was the drain plug after all. He said I would never see it standing up or kneeling. Even though I ran my fingers along the shaft of the plug, I did not feel the water. He said water was actually trickling down from out the bottom of the plug, running underneath the bottom of the filter and coming out from under the filter "stand", making it look like there was a possible crack in the bottom of the filter. While he was down there, he also found the round "gasket" from the drain plug laying in the gravel. He put the gasket in, screwed it back on and no more leak. I should have been more persistent. I can now smile as I won't be calling my $350.00 hr pool people. Thanks to all of your for your wonderful help. Without this website, I would not be enjoying my beautiful sparkling pool, nor would I be able to do the opening and closing by myself.

18. Back To Top    #18

Leaking Sand Filter

Good job. That's what I thought it was in the beginning. I couldn't understand what else it could be. I'm sure that makes ya feel a lot better 😎
    Jeff