skimmer basket collar weir - skimmer sucking air

gregch

Silver Supporter
We have a 28' x 14' inground pool; the skimmer has a circular basket that fits in it with a circular floating "collar" weir (Certikin HD105).

Sometimes we're finding that the floating weir has risen so that water isn't making it over the weir and the skimmer is sucking air and the pump endlessly trying to prime. If I push the weir down - after a few attempts - it'll find the right level and start working OK again. Out of the water, the weir moves freely up and down so I'm not sure what's going on.

This problem usually occurs on the days we found the skimmer basket floating - ie not correctly seated - when the pump came back on in the morning. It's like when the pump shut off the previous night the skimmer basket has floated up so that when the pump comes back on the water just bypasses the skimmer basket. Again, I can push it into place each time but I wonder if I need to weight it with something? A new chlorine tab seems to be enough to keep it in place. Not sure how to fix the weir problem though!

Thanks guys. I don't think the water level is too high... the problem occurs more frequently when the water level is lower (say 50% up the skimmer opening), and doesn't happen when the level is high enough (ie >75% up the skimmer opening) to be at the right level for the weir at its highest point.

I think I'll try putting a rock in the basket, though - good tip!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.