Stenner - what is needed.

Apr 26, 2014
Oak Grove, MO
Sorry, but I'm not finding much info on using Stenner systems. I was looking at the Liquidator - which has lots of info and a youtube video of the parts/install.....but I'm not to crazy about injecting chlorine in the suction line before the pump. I see people talking about Stenner, but not sure what is needed. Websites that sell the 45M5 with a 15gallon tank don't explain how it is installed or what else is needed. Here is my deal -

I have an above ground pool - oval - 15k gallons. Last year we used an autochlorinator with 3" Trichlor tablets and was not a fan. switched to bleach late in the season. liked the results, but I'm not always around to add the bleach manually. I need something to inject as the pump runs. If I get the Stenner 45M5 system, and just run it when the pump is on, is that all that is needed? Would I have to buy anything else? It runs about double the price of the liquidator, but I would rather inject after the pump so would be worth it to me. I'm just not sure if I would have to buy anything else to use this system. I assume I would just add chlorine bleach directly to the 15 gallon tank? Would I need to add water as well to keep the fumes down?

If there are any good web resources that explain this, please send me a link.

Welcome to TFP!

You want to inject acid just before the SWG, or if you don't have a SWG then after all other equipment (pump, filter, heater).

Some people get a variable speed Stenner system, I prefer to get a timer, so you can control how long a fixed speed Stenner pump runs. Other than the optional timer, you should only need a Stenner tank and pump system, which comes with an injection fitting.

You normally dilute the acid two or three to one with water (more water than acid). That makes fumes much less of an issue and limits the problems that can occur if something breaks.

If you're talking about injecting chlorine, the 45m5 is a very large pump. You should only need about 1/2 gallon a day or less. I have a 3 gpd max and run my pump 8 hours a day and I usually run it on about 4 or less on the dial.

I inject the bleach just after the filter. I drilled and threaded the pvc pipe and just screwed the injection fitting into it.

How long do you run the pump each day?
Do you know how much chlorine you use each day?

I went with the 85MHP17 On a setting of 10 I get 1.75 ounces of chlorine injected. I went with a larger pump so that it does not have to run for extended amounts of time. Plus less wear and tear on the tube and other parts. Injection time is controlled as a program on my EasyTouch.

Typically, we ran the pump for about 8 hours per day, but that didn't seem to keep chlorine levels high enough. I'm not sure how much the pump SHOULD run. If I remember correctly the 8 hour time was based off of my pump size and pool volume. Sorry, but I'm not sure how much chlorine we used per day. This is all new to me and still seems like a black art...conflicting opinions and the pool store people telling me one thing, and reading other things online. I have a lot to learn...

Sounds like the Stenner system has everything I'd need - I would just be using it for chlorine bleach.

If you plan on running the injection pump whenever the main pump is running you need to order the injection pump closer to the size you need. I figure you need about 3 quarts per day max and injecting that amount over 8 hours requires a pump that is rated for 2 gpd, but since 3 gpd is the smallest that will work. If you wanted to let go larger you could get a 5 gpd. I wouldn't go any larger unless you are going to put it on its own timer then you can get whatever size you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.