Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me buy a new pool and sand filter! :-D

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me buy a new pool and sand filter! :-D

Hi all.. didn't post much last season...too busy in pool! Thanks to everyone here I had a great green-free season last year, but the small cartridges are so much work! I'm ready to go with sand and salt and a little bit bigger pool. Could some of you experts cast an experienced eye over the following and tell me what you think?

I prefer the easy set with ring, wouldn't trust legs on our soft sandy soil and don't want to do pavers all around, yard is small. I want to go from a 18x48 to a 18x52 and this filter...

not sure whether to go with a sand and swg combo or sep units??? any thoughts appreciated

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/10765.html

with...

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-650-Gall...round+easy+set

and a sep swg ...haven't figured out which...

or

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-120V-Fil...MMHBKDRQ58DAZ6

thanks for any advice.... this will be 1st season w swg.... 6th season w agp
    ~6500 gal 18' x 52" easy set agp, 7th year
    Intex 2650 sand filter, chlorine
    TF100 Test Kit
    Becoming a TFP lifetime supporter and purchasing the TF100 is absolutely the best money I have ever spent! :-D

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help me buy a new pool and sand filter! :-D

I love bleach, I don't like SWG's only because I prefer non salty water, that and the fact that salt is a corrosive, and it will eat through everything.... Its totally a personal choice, you still have to test your water with SWG's and its not a set-and-forget solution.... But there are many who love their SWG....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Although minimal, bleach still adds salt to the water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I recommend separate units for the pump and swg unit. The swg can be problematic whereas the pump and sand filter is relatively solid. 2 - 3 years seems to be the life expectancy for the swg unit. With separate units you could just replace the swg when needed.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gwc View Post
    I recommend separate units for the pump and swg unit. The swg can be problematic whereas the pump and sand filter is relatively solid. 2 - 3 years seems to be the life expectancy for the swg unit. With separate units you could just replace the swg when needed.
    Thanks all.. this is what I was thinking about the two units.... and I have thought about the corrosion, I think we will be ok on that, this pool is all soft, no metal, and it's time to replace our metal ladder prolly since platic is getting sun-faded, is the sw really bad on pumps? figured they would have to be able to handle it....

nervous about placing that final order bc I keep reading about diff. fittings not fitting, adapters needed etc... any advice on knowing for certain that everything I order will all work together? know that seems basic and maybe silly, but I'm the person that things like that happen to!
    ~6500 gal 18' x 52" easy set agp, 7th year
    Intex 2650 sand filter, chlorine
    TF100 Test Kit
    Becoming a TFP lifetime supporter and purchasing the TF100 is absolutely the best money I have ever spent! :-D

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I've been using an Intex SWG for 3 years now with no problems. I will 2nd the suggestion to get a standalone unit, separate from the pump. They do not last forever. Expect to get about 2 years out of one before replacing it. As for corrosion, it's a non-issue. At the proper salt levels, the water is less salty than human tears. It's nowhere near the saltiness of seawater. I've not experienced any corrosion of my ladder or any other metallic parts.

I would never go back to chlorine. SWG is super easy, once you figure out the proper salt level and number of hours per day you need to generate.