Pump-filter match?

Apr 25, 2014
Southern Ontario
Newbie here.. I have an inground pool of ~25,000 gallons.. I just purchased a 3/4 HP Pentair whisperflo pump #011512, and a pentair tagelus 50D pump.. It would seem that the pump flow rate is not matched to the filter.. Is this a huge issue? Should I be extremely worried? What kind of filter pressure should I be wary of (I assume it will be higher than normal if the gpm of the pump exceeds the gpm rating of the filter)..

Thoughts?

If you are kind enough to respond, I ask that you let me know your experience level so that I can gage credibility of any responses.. I know little.. So will not judge.

Thank you everyone!
Tailgate

First, welcome to the forum!

It isn't an ideal setup and the filter may not work as well but I doubt there will be any damage to the filter. Sand filters are fairly robust and can handle quite a bit. The filter is rated for 50 GPM and the pump could be delivering 60-80 GPM. One option would be to swap out the impeller for the 1/2 HP impeller. That would drop the flow rate to 50-70 GPM which would help some but still a little high. Unfortunately, there isn't a smaller impeller for that pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.