Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Heater Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Question Spa Heater Question

Hi guys, I'd like to start off by saying I'm a complete pool newb... But this website has helped a TON on getting educated about our pool/spa!

We just bought a home that came with a pool and spa with spill over waterfall. Pretty much 0 information about the pool/spa or equipment was provided to us when we bought the home. Heck, the previous owners were even claiming they did not know the pool capacity. In any case, I digress...

We have some guests coming over in a little bit to take a dip in the spa so we decided to turn the heater on a few hours ago. We've noticed there's been very little change in spa temperature since the 3 hours we've had it on. It's gone from about 80 to 85 degrees since then. I guess what I'm asking is... Is the heater really only for "temperature control/maintenance"? Or is it intended to use as a hot tub?

The heater we have is a Pentair MiniMax Pro 400. We've removed the side panel to check the heating elements, and they all appear to be working just fine. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: Spa Heater Question

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have 3 way valves on your pump and filter? There may be a way to isolate the spa from the pool for heating that only.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.