Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine tablets now come in individual packets?

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine tablets now come in individual packets?

chlorine tablets now come in individual packets?

I use tablets at start up to raise my CYA, i drain 1/3 of the water for winter closing.

Just bought a bucket of 3 inch tricolor tablets. They are all individual wrapped, what a mess. 4-6 where broken, and many had powder dust. Then the hassle of opening it packet.

preferred them unwrapped, but i guess they did that to reduce the super strong chlorine smell, but chlorine dust blowing every isn't much better.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine tablets now come in individual packets?

Some manufacturers do that. I think that it's a bad idea. It's one of those ideas that might seem like a good idea in theory, but in the real world, it just doesn't work.

3. Back To Top    #3

I know Leslie's does that ... so then you end up with powder flying every where while trying to open it and then all the wrappers with chlorine powder on them to deal with. Very annoying.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I dunno... I needed a few pucks the last time I left town and I couldn't see buying another whole bucket. The local pool store had individually wrapped ones for sale.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well that is fine. But why wrap every one in a bucket?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

... a second chance to rethink using them?
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV View Post
    ... a second chance to rethink using them?
    Kinda like having to make sure the safety is off before you pull the trigger!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I noticed that some manufacturers started individually wrapping the Trichlor tabs in a bucket, but I thought it was due to hazardous material regulations since that lets one become exempt from labeling, placarding, and shipping paper requirements by getting under the "limited quantity" exception. To do that, one must have an inner packaging of no more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) net weight of hazardous chemical and an outer packaging of no more than 30 kg (66 pounds) gross weight. See 173.152(b)(1) Exceptions for Division 5.1 (oxidizers) and Division 5.2 (organic peroxides).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess it could also limit humidity from coming in contact with every tablet each time you open the bucket. It should theoretically reduce the amount vapors that practically knock you out when you open the lid.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log