Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mustard algae

1. Back To Top    #1

mustard algae

When the temps here I the DFW area reach the hundreds my pool typically has a mustard algae bloom. I am in the process of slamming my pool now but have no indication of mustard algae now but I am concerned this summer I will get another yellow pool.

My question. Since I am slamming now should I go ahead and finish with the 24 hour mustard levels and brush everything or try something else to prevent it in the summer?

Thanks in advance.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: mustard algae

If you maintain proper FC levels as a function of your CYA levels, you should not get algae this summer. I so no reason to raise to Mustard levels now ... not that it would hurt anything either.

Have you read the article below? Very rarely do people actually have mustard algae.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-mustard-algae
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: mustard algae

Thanks. That's kind of what I was hoping to hear. I have read the article and I am 99% sure it is mustard algae. If I don't attack it as soon as I see it it takes over the entire pool. I have also had a post on hear where folks confirmed my assesment.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool