Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water stick insect

1. Back To Top    #1

Water stick insect

Just went for my first swim of the season. I just found two of these insects crawling around underwater on the pool wall. I looked it up and looks like what is called a water stick insect. Has anyone ever seen these before? Any treatment advisable?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water stick insect

I'll bet it got your attention. I would first try maintaining FC at the high end of the recommended range, according to your pool's CYA. If that alone doesn't do the job of repelling these critters, you can add Borates up to 50 parts-per-million (ppm).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ummmm.... Ewwwwwwww!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah. Eww. Maybe save a few to scare people out of the pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I think they look neat! If they don't bite, would leave them so I could enjoy watching them move around and my daughter could get creeped out.
    Chris
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Chris, they do look neat. I have been doing some research. They are not dangerous despite having the nickname Water Scorpion. When you fish them out with the net they play dead. I did not harm them, just put them in the grass. From what I have read a lot of people catch them and keep them in aquariums.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!