Help me label my lines

Apr 11, 2014
Central Tx
pumplabel.jpg

1- Skimmer 1
2- Skimmer 2
3- Main drain?
4- ???? (It's on the suction side of the pump)
5- Return

So I'm only confused about 3 and 4. Could they both be main drains? I can't see the bottom of my pool to see if I even have two.

I am not sure how we are going to be able to help ... with no access for experimentation.

It is pretty odd to have 4 suction lines and only 1 return line though. I can not tell what is going on with line 4 in that picture. I almost wonder if line 4 has been re-purposed from a return line to a suction line?

Could be that 3 is the floor and 4 is a cleaner line.

All I can do is guess, but I suspect that 4 is for a suction side cleaner.

There should should only be one pipe coming from dual main drains. They always join up into a single pipe very close to the drains.

The only way to be sure what is what is to turn things on and off and see what happens. That will be easier to do when the water is cleared up and you can get in the pool.

Thanks for the responses.

What exactly is a suction side cleaner? Is this a dedicated line for a vacuum or something?

The reason I'm asking about the lines is that I attempted to vacuum today for the first time so I had to experiment with the valves to get enough suction to keep the vacuum hose on the skimmer port. It would only stay put with one skimmer (#1) and the main drain (#3) closed, but the vacuum still wasn't moving much on the bottom. I'm wondering if closing #4 will help. Also, when I closed #1 and #3, the pump pressure eventually rose about 5 psi. I didn't know if this was due to the vacuum doing its job or the pump working extra hard with only one line open.

A suction side cleaner is a dedicated line for a cleaner that goes around vacuuming on it's own, with a hose connecting it to a port on the side of the pool.

The filter pressure rise is unexpected. Normally when you shut off suction lines the filter pressure falls a little.

I have a similar mixing valve on my suction line, what you have labelled 1 and 2. On mine, one side is the skimmers (both of them) and the other side are the main drains. Are you sure each side is just 1 skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.