Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log
This is a Microsoft Excel workbook designed to log your test results and display them graphically. It will help assist you in getting to know your pool and it's needs over time.
The workbook requires Microsoft Excel 2007 or higher.
Quick Start Guide
Enter manual goals at the top or select a "Goals Source" from the options panel by double clicking the blue box.
Select your Chlorine Source and Pool Surface by double clicking the corresponding blue boxes.
Enter your test results on the bottom. The middle area will then show a graphical representation of your latest results versus the target range.
There are additional sheets which show line graphs of each test category over time.
There is also a "PoolMath" tab which emulates the function of TFP's excellent online PoolMath resource as well as a "Calculators" tab with a few other useful tools.
For more information please read the User Guide linked below.
Any feedback regarding errors or improvement suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Updated to v3.3
Download: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log v3.3
Download: User Guide v3.0
--- v3.3 Download
- Updated Free Chlorine calculations in Calculators tab's Dosing Calculator and PoolMath's FC section.
- Added PoolMath and troublefreepool.com links and credit to top of PoolMath tab.
- Updated liquid CYA calculations under PoolMath tab to match suggestion made in the Pool Math Question thread.
- Updated "Liquid Chlorine Cost" under Calculators tab to use Trade (%/vol) or Weight calculations based on percentage.
--- v3.2ß3 Download
- Fixed "first row" placeholder error causing auto-calculated CSI values to only be placed in the first result row.
- Implemented crude data import method under "Import Data" tab.
--- v3.2ß1 Download
- Implemented auto-calculation of the CSI column.
- Any changes to entries which effect CSI will automatically cause the current row's CSI value to be recalculated.
- Values that could indicate Corrosion will be RED and values which could indicate Scaling will be YELLOW.
--- v3.11 Download
- Fixed PoolMath tab's Calcium Hardness (CH) "Automatic from last test result" functionality.
- Fixed cell protection errors preventing options from being properly selected when double clicking.
- Fixed automatic "Gallons" entry on Calculator's tab.
- Corrected improper inverse calculations in PoolMath tab's Total Alkalinity (TA) section.
- Updated several formulas to more closely follow TFP's PoolMath calculations updated on 5/18/2015. Thank you TFP for continually updating it!
--- v3.0ß5 Download
- Fixed CSI calculator NAME error.Chlorine Dosing Calculator import from a previous revision caused several defined NAMES to be duplicated with invalid/out-of-date copies.
- Fixed negative values for chlorine dosing in PoolMath & Calculators tabs.
--- v3.0ß4 Download
- Various options panel bug fixes
- Invalid external data source error fixed
--- v3.0ß3 Download
- Re-added and integrated Graphical Chlorine Dosing Calculator into new "Calculators" tab.
- Fixed syntax error in Liquid Chlorine/Bleach Cost Calculator.
- Moved Liquid Chlorine/Bleach Calculator & Pool Volume Calculator to new "Calculators" tab.
--- v3.0ß2 Download
- Added PoolMath tab!PoolMath has been briefly tested/compared to the web version but has not undergone all possible entry combinations.
Some fields provide additional precision than the web version. Please report any major discrepancies so I can correct them!
- Added Pool Volume and Chlorine Cost calculators to the bottom of the PoolMath tab.
--- v2.01 Download
- Minor bug fix (Protected Sheet Date/Time formatting error)
--- v2.0 DownloadPlease note that cutting and pasting data from versions prior to v2.0 may take some effort.
This is due to some cells being merged in a few columns. My apologies for the inconvenience.
- Major overhaul! Workbook is now an .xlsm, macros must be enabled for full functionality.
- There is a bug in Excel regarding conditional formatting not properly updating after certain
events. This forced me to use macros to achieve consistent functionality. Enabling
macros has allowed v2.0 to be more feature rich and will allow more in the future. Feel
free to examine the code before enabling macros!
- Added options panel with selections and automatic calculations and adjustments for:
- Goals Source (TroubleFreePool.com, Traditional Pool, Traditional Spa, Manual)Auto populates Goals Low & High Fields with suggested levels from PoolMath,
takes into account all water chemistry variables from:
- Pool Surface (Vinyl, Plaster, Fiberglass)
- Chlorine Source (Liquid/Bleach, Trichlor Tablets, Salt Water Generator)
- Logging Mode (Date, Date/Time)Allows input and logging of time as well as date. When switching back to
date only mode, the times will still be stored but not displayed.
--- v1.5 Download
- Moved timestamps control to new "Options" panel on the upper right
- Moved keyboard shortcut tips to under options panel
- Added "Notes" column, increased row size to accommodate 2 lines- Can be enlarged by re-sizing column "O"- Added auto color formatting to log entries to show whether value is in defined range
- Added CSI calculator column and verbose feedback box
--- v1.4 Download
- Added option to log time as well as date.
- Enable/disable timestamps by entering a "1" or a "0" in cell B13
- Added Date & Time shortcut key tips
- Added CYA to FC-CC chart
- Reduced column sizes to fit 4:3 monitors
- Minor aesthetic formatting changes
--- v1.3 Download
- Integrated Chlorine Dosing Calculator
- Added automatic values from Test Log into Dosing Calculator
- Added Manual Override for Dosing Calculator
- Fixed minor formatting issues throughout
--- v1.2 Download
- Added Temp & CSI column and graphs
- Added automatic CSI calculation, however you will still need to type this number into the CSI column if you want it recorded
- Separated and refined testing log charts into 4 charts
--- v1.1 Download
- Added CC column and graphs.
- Changed Graph Update trigger from DATE to each TEST RESULT. This allows untested values to be left blank and still have the previous measurement graphed.
- Added links to PoolMath and www.troublefreepool.com
- Added sheet title, my name and link to PM.