Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White "Haze" on my dark fiberglass pool...tried everything.... any ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

White "Haze" on my dark fiberglass pool...tried everything.... any ideas?

pool1.jpgMy 3 year old viking pool has developed a bad white "haze" on almost all surfaces below the water line. I have tried everything to remove it before I open the pool. Tried, vitamin c, 50/50 bleach, 20% muratic acid in a spray bottle. The only thing that will remove the stain is 3M heavy cut rubbing compound and a ton of elbow grease. I travel a lot and did a terrible job last year of balancing the water. I'm sure that has something to do with it. The pool is very small, 5500 gallons, 10x20, "small unicorn" model. I normally drain and refill each year (sandy soil, so no worries with draining). Any ideas how to remove the white staining without 2 days with the power buffer?
    pool2.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White "Haze" on my dark fiberglass pool...tried everything.... any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!

What is your water chemistry like? Calcium, TA and pH particularly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not tested the water yet, just uncovered yesterday. I normally drain and refill each year (had planned on doing it tomorrow). Should I refill, balance the water then try to remove the stain? I can certainly test the water now, its pretty nasty water.

4. Back To Top    #4

The stain is likely a result of your water chemistry, so knowing the water will probably guide you in removing the stain.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

I did not think that fiberglass pools were supposed to be drained. BTW, there is no need to drain and refill every year.

From the picture sure seems like you have a few chemistry problems.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Evidently I have more than a few chemistry problems! I will attempt to get some good readings for my Calcium, TA and pH and report back. The pool is so small, I can drain and completely refill in 5 hours. It was just easier than cleaning and re-balance. Plus, I have had issues with TDS being high, and the refill solves the problem. But what do I know! I am looking forward to participating in the forum and hopefully doing a better job of keeping my pool balanced this year (and hopefully getting rid of the staining).

7. Back To Top    #7

TDS is kind of a meaningless parameter that pool stores like to harp about. We care more about the individual components that make up that number and can thus take better control of the chemistry.

Take a look at Pool School if you have not already. Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

pH 6.5, ALK 26, CH 126, remember, I have not opened the pool for the season, no chemicals have been added since labor day of last year. Test was done with a ColorQ Pro-7

9. Back To Top    #9

FYI, We also do not think very highly of digital testers ... a search of the forum will reveal why. Very suspect and inconsistent on some things and you never know if it is returning a decent value. Many members have gotten fed up with them and sold them to get one of the Recommended Test Kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator