Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: thinking about replacing heater... jandy legacy or raypak? What size?

1. Back To Top    #1

thinking about replacing heater... jandy legacy or raypak? What size?

I have a 1997 Teledyne laars gas heater, 250k. The home warranty paid for a new gas control unit and pilot assembly, so now at least it works. But the temp knob does nothing, so it's either on or off. I almost had a catasrophy when the pump shut off with the heater still going. It did shut down, but when turning pump back on, super-heated water caused 3 PVC leaks and even hurt a little kid who was swimming by the pool return. Never again... So currently, I have to take the "off" stops off the pump timer if I use the heater as a failsafe.

Anyway, I'm tempted to just install a new unit that has a digital control. The Jandy legacy is the direct replacement for what I have- footprint and plumbing location look the same. Or the forum recommended Raypak- it also has the plumbing about in the right spot. Recomendations?

What size? My pool is 45x12 and gets a lot of shade. I'll only run it the day before I'm going to use the pool, so a friday in order to swim for the weekend.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: thinking about replacing heater... jandy legacy or raypak? What size?

I like RayPak, though the difference between brands are fairly small.

I recommend getting the largest heater your gas service can handle. The additional cost is minimal, and the water heats up more quickly. Unfortunately, chances are you would need expensive upgrades to your gas line to get a larger heater, which is probably not worth the extra expense.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Raypak! The Jandy has a blower motor and a few other extra components that could cost you more down the road on repairs. The Raypak is a very simple straight forward heater with no extra bells or whistles that will cost you down the road. Installing the unit will only take minimal PVC pipe.

How far away is the gas meter from the heater? Does the line going to the heater come directly off the meter, if close, or does it go inside the house to feed other things first and then back out to the heater? The distance and the number of gas appliances on the same line can affect the supply to the heater if the line isn't large enough.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    The home warranty paid for a new gas control unit and pilot assembly, so now at least it works. But the temp knob does nothing, so it's either on or off. I almost had a catasrophy when the pump shut off with the heater still going. It did shut down, but when turning pump back on, super-heated water caused 3 PVC leaks and even hurt a little kid who was swimming by the pool return. Never again... So currently, I have to take the "off" stops off the pump timer if I use the heater as a failsafe.

What?? I say save your money and MAKE home warranty replace or fix it right, or (tell them) you will be talking to your lawyer. I'm not kidding! you have a case against that repair guy and home warranty. I don't ever deal with them just for this reason. They never want to spend the money to fix things correctly. I dealt with them when i bought a house, and had to push every time i had a claim.
    Unfortunately their work makes YOU open for a lawsuit.

Make them fix it!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ha, good point. It's worth the $100 deductable to get them to fix the thermostat part. Warranty is up next month, I better get on it. I'm not going to get away with having them "fix" the repair from last year- that was 10 months ago...
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

6. Back To Top    #6

The jandy legacy series of heaters use natural draft combustion and do not have blower motors.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, my teledyne just died today. Need to order a new one. My gas line is standard 1/2 copper, coming off the house manifold, it has it's own dedicated regulator coming off the 2 psi line.

Where can I mail order one? Plan to self install.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like the raypak 266 will fit my pad which is 24" wide, 266 is 23". Winner!

9. Back To Top    #9

I wanted to follow up- the Raypak 266 works great! I love having digital thermostat. And the polymer header actually transfers way less heat to the pumbing than the old Teledyne cast iron did. Thanks for the recommendations.

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you look at the clearance to combustible materials, like the fence?
    Might have to cut back that shelf to get 6".
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

11. Back To Top    #11

I just measured. Everything but the shelf is good to go. I felt it while running, doesn't even get warm. Old heater was there 20 years.