Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and water temp

1. Back To Top    #1
    Central Massachusetts

CYA and water temp

I opened pool a week ago and see a huge difference in opening earlier than I have in the past. I don't want to mess up a good start, so I'm looking for advice on CYA level. It measured 50 yesterday, and I'm aiming for 70 in gradual additions so I don't overshoot. Pool Calc said 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer to raise to 60; I added that yesterday. This morning CYA is about 52 -- hmmm. I'm wondering whether to stay on plan and keep adding until I get to 70, or should I be making adjustments for the cold water?

I'm using bleach until I pull my salt level up. I'm getting salt today, and want to get it added today if possible because we have a rainy couple of days coming up and I want to get SWG going. So I guess part 2 of the question is should I start the SWG once the salt is up, or should I wait until CYA is at least 60?

Water Temp 55, about 1/3 into deep end
    FC 5.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 190
    CYA 52

P.S. Site upgrades are great!
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: CYA and water temp

You can start the SWG as long as the water is warm enough. It is still early in the season, so the slightly lower CYA will not likely make much difference .... I would not be in a hurry to raise it up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The CYA test can be thrown off by testing with a cold water sample. It is best to allow the sample to warm up to room temperature before testing. That test is also sensitive to lighting. It should be read in full sunlight with your back to the sun and your body shading the view tube.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thomson GA

From the Aqua Trol Instruction manual "The Aqua Trol control will not produce chlorine at temperatures below 50 F. If your pool will be below this temperature for any length of time, you must chlorinate manually."
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit