DE Filter Upgrade

Apr 25, 2014
United States
Hello,

Last year was my first year owning a pool. I live Cleveland, Ohio. Around August I was having constant problems with pollen. Unfortunately for me, I live at the bottom of a hill and all of the pollen blows into my pool. I was able to get it all out before I closed the pool by using super floc and evacuating the water when I vacuumed. I was told by the pool store that DE filter would solve this problem. The pool is 27 feet round and 52 inches deep. My calculation is that the pool holds 18-19K gallons of water. The current pump is a Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (1HP, 60GPM, 11 amps) Model SP1580. The filter is a cartridge Aqua Pro. I was cleaning the filter once a week prior to the pollen. When the pollen came, it was twice a day, and it was not even making a dent.

I am looking for recommendations on what filter to use and if I can intergrade it with the current pump and base. I was thinking about getting an entirely new pump and filter combo, but did not know if it would be better to just do the filter. I kind of don't like the pump since there is no on/off switch.

Welcome to TFP. A DE filter is going to filter a lot more than any other filter. I think your best bet is to look into skimmer socks which is just a panty hose over your skimmer basket. It needs to be watched while in use because it can clog pretty fast if pollen is high.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

A DE filter will not solve your problem. It will clog just as quickly (if not quicker) than your cartridge filter.

If pollen is something you have to solve, a sand filter will make it easier by allowing you to backwash instead of clogging your cartridge.

Let me say it again......the DE filter will not solve your pollen issue....the pool store is not correct.

Welcome to TFP. A DE filter is going to filter a lot more than any other filter. I think your best bet is to look into skimmer socks which is just a panty hose over your skimmer basket. It needs to be watched while in use because it can clog pretty fast if pollen is high.

Thanks for the follow-up. I tried the skimmer sock. It did not work. The pollen was too fine and went through the sock. I would not say that the pollen was clogging the filter. It was more like the pollen was to small a micron, and was going through the filter and sock. When I emptied the filter housing the water was florescent green to yellow colored. It would also leave a powdery residue behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

A DE filter will not solve your problem. It will clog just as quickly (if not quicker) than your cartridge filter.

If pollen is something you have to solve, a sand filter will make it easier by allowing you to backwash instead of clogging your cartridge.

Let me say it again......the DE filter will not solve your pollen issue....the pool store is not correct.

Sorry for any confusion with my initial post. I believe the pollen was going through the filter without picking it up. It was not clogging the filter based on the pressure readings on the gauge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.