Safe to use tabs to raise CYA?

Aug 19, 2013
After draining and filling my pool, I added one bottle of CYA. I am at about 20 ppm where I'd like to be around 30. Would it be okay to use some left over tabs to raise the CYA levels? Is there anything else in them I need to be worried about? They are high quality diamond pool tabs. How many ppm for a 15,000 gallon pool will 3" tabs raise the CYA? I will discontinue use after reaching 30 ppm. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there was any water left in the pool, it may have CYA in addition to the amount you added. The CYA you just added might not be visible on testing for a week or so. So there is some chance that the measured amount is left-over from the remaining pool water and the added CYA has not become testable yet. So proceed with caution.

Did you have a good handle on what the CYA was before draining? Was there any water left in the pool?

Thanks Jason. I let it sit a week and I am still less than the 30 reading on the taylor test, meaning I can still see the dot with the water to the top. I will use the pool calculator to see how much it will add and may float one or two to get to 30 ppm. There isn't anything else in them that I should be concerned with, is there?

Before the drain I was at about 170, after I tested and there was almost none. I drained approximately all but 3 inches in the deepest section. The pool is about 14,000-15,000 gallons. Since I didn't drain it completely, I read the meter before and after the fill and was about 14,500 including some water usage in the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.