Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help clearing pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help clearing pool

Split by moderator from HERE. Please ask questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle

NOOB to pools here as well

I live near Nashville, TN and we had our pool finished last October. We decided not to cover our pool this year b/c we do not have a lot of trees near our pool and checked chemicals throughout the winter. Now that it's finally warming up I have been checking chemicals daily over the last 2-3 weeks and have tonights readings below. Readings are all within range, but the water is cloudy in the deep end and clear in the shallow end. I raised FC to shock levels 2 days ago (raised FC to 16) and cleared up briefly, but the next day looked cloudy again. Question, do I need to maintain shock levels in pools for a few days? Also, the saturation index for my pool is -.9 should that be a concern?

FC = 5
    cc = 0
    ta = 60
    ch = 60
    cya = 30
    ph = 7.5
    temp 69*
    19K Gal, 38'x28' (free form), depth 3 1/2' to 8 1/2', Vinyl, Astral Variable Pump (P280), 25" Sand Filter, Astral VX SWG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool startup questions

Yes, read the SLAM process Pool School.
    No, you have vinyl pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

New pool startup questions

Read the SLAM process. Shock Level And Maintain until water is crystal clear, you pass the OCLT test and you have CC of 0.5 or less.
    Your water will clear up pretty fast if you maintain the SLAM level.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: New pool startup questions

Thanks. I'll start on that in the morning and provide updates when pool cleans up.
    19K Gal, 38'x28' (free form), depth 3 1/2' to 8 1/2', Vinyl, Astral Variable Pump (P280), 25" Sand Filter, Astral VX SWG,

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Help clearing pool

Southeastsmiley add some pictures. We would love to see your pool.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Attaching a few images.

Another quick question, I have a SWG and based on CYA / FC chart do I need to raise my CYA at this time or wait until the water warms up a little and then test again?photo 2.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't add any more CYA until you've completed the SLAM process, passed the OCLT and are ready to run your SWG every day. The high CYA level is recommended when you are using the SWG as your main source of chlorine. It allows for a shorter duty cycle on your SWG cell which should prolong it's life.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log