Algae bloom

Came home on Tuesday to find a green algae bloom in progress. 36000 gallon pool with a swg in Tallahassee Florida. I have to come clean and admit that I pay someone to maintain my pool which seems bad since I have an algae bloom. I am pretty sure they use test strips so their numbers tend to be unreliable. Maybe it's time to do it myself but I will leave that for another day. I tested pool yesterday and FC was at 2 with cya around 20. I texted my pool guy and he told me he would come out today. In the interim I told him not to add anything to the pool as I would handle. I told him not to increase cya as I wanted to maintain chlorine manually until algae was gone and then raise cya at that point. He ignored me and ended up adding 5 pounds of chlorine and a quart of phosoway. He also told me that adding chlorine won't do any good with phosphates that are high. He is saying phosphates tested at over 1000. He wants to add revive.

I plan to tell him no and proceed with slamming the pool. I wanted to check and make sure I did not need to be worried about phosphates being that high. Everything I have read on here indicates I should ignore the phosphates issue and continue on with slamming. Here is one problem already which hopefully will dissipate quickly, but their addition of chlorine shot it through the roof. A few hours later it tested at 25 ppm.

I already spent this afternoon cleaning my filter and adding some cya to get it at or just above 30. But, I did not add any chlorine due to the incredibly high chlorine levels already in my pool.

My plan is to test again in the morning and then maintain at shock levels until the pool passes an overnight test.

Any thing I am missing?

Do you know if the 5 pounds of chlorine the pool guy added was dichlor which would add CYA ?
Don't let the pool guy handle this. You handle it. We're here to help if needed.

I don't know. I will ask.

- - - Updated - - -

I sense the firing of a pool guy coming!

You can do this!

Hah. I work with another TFP member and he is smacking his head over me not moving on from this guy.

Using TFT-100. I think I need to part ways with this guy. He is kind of a jerk about the fact that I assert my own ideas.

Absolutely ..... remember it is your pool. If he had his act together you wouldn't be here in the first place.

And ... it seems to me that a CYA level of 20 is way too low for Florida. I am in Upstate NY and run 30 - 40. Of course you don't want to increase that much until your algae is gone but i would imagine the gurus here will recommend at least 30 and possibly as high as 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its weird. I have a problem getting rid of this service all together. Its not that I don't trust myself to manage the chemistry; rather, it is the idea of always having to clean the pool and pay attention to it religiously. I have a large pool with lots of trees so it gets a lot of stuff in it and I like having it cleaned once a week in addition to what I do. I have an awesome robotic cleaner but there are times of the year where dropping it in once a week is not enough to keep up. I also suffer from liking to ignore the pool for part of the year. Maybe I just need to have a cleaning contract.

Pools can be a lot of maintenance if you have a lot of tree's around, which sounds like your case. Maybe the cleaning contract would be the way to go. Just let them clean and you take care of the water chemistry. If they want to tell you about your water chemistry and what to add or not to, just let it go in one ear and out the other. You know what the water needs and doesn't.
I think you can handle testing and doseing what it needs. It doesn't take a lot of time for that.

I am also in Tallahassee! The stuff from our trees! WHAT A MESS!

At least you have the test kit for your own testing kit. I am sure you can find someone to JUST do cleaning. Call around and see who is willing to do what for what. Tell them that you ONLY want cleaning! NO chemicals at all and NO testing by them. Be firm with them and tell them you will NOT discuss anything other than cleaning as you have your own test kit.

What side of town are you on? I am off of the Parkway. I use the ACE Hardware for my chlorine.

Good luck!

This may be a case where a trustworthy neighborhood teen can be trained to be your personal pool cleaner if you can't find a service to do it the way you want it done. You could also teach them how to test and dose the pool if you wanted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.