Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae bloom

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae bloom

Came home on Tuesday to find a green algae bloom in progress. 36000 gallon pool with a swg in Tallahassee Florida. I have to come clean and admit that I pay someone to maintain my pool which seems bad since I have an algae bloom. I am pretty sure they use test strips so their numbers tend to be unreliable. Maybe it's time to do it myself but I will leave that for another day. I tested pool yesterday and FC was at 2 with cya around 20. I texted my pool guy and he told me he would come out today. In the interim I told him not to add anything to the pool as I would handle. I told him not to increase cya as I wanted to maintain chlorine manually until algae was gone and then raise cya at that point. He ignored me and ended up adding 5 pounds of chlorine and a quart of phosoway. He also told me that adding chlorine won't do any good with phosphates that are high. He is saying phosphates tested at over 1000. He wants to add revive.

I plan to tell him no and proceed with slamming the pool. I wanted to check and make sure I did not need to be worried about phosphates being that high. Everything I have read on here indicates I should ignore the phosphates issue and continue on with slamming. Here is one problem already which hopefully will dissipate quickly, but their addition of chlorine shot it through the roof. A few hours later it tested at 25 ppm.

I already spent this afternoon cleaning my filter and adding some cya to get it at or just above 30. But, I did not add any chlorine due to the incredibly high chlorine levels already in my pool.

My plan is to test again in the morning and then maintain at shock levels until the pool passes an overnight test.

Any thing I am missing?
    36000 gallon pool with SWG and Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae bloom

Your plan sounds good. I assume you have a good kit?

And yes, you are correct about phosphates. Never had mine tested, and I don't care what they are.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Using TFT-100. I think I need to part ways with this guy. He is kind of a jerk about the fact that I assert my own ideas.

4. Back To Top    #4

Algae bloom

Do you know if the 5 pounds of chlorine the pool guy added was dichlor which would add CYA ?
    Don't let the pool guy handle this. You handle it. We're here to help if needed.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I sense the firing of a pool guy coming!

You can do this!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Do you know if the 5 pounds of chlorine the pool guy added was dichlor which would add CYA ?
    Don't let the pool guy handle this. You handle it. We're here to help if needed.
    I don't know. I will ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AprilNC View Post
    I sense the firing of a pool guy coming!

You can do this!
    Hah. I work with another TFP member and he is smacking his head over me not moving on from this guy.

7. Back To Top    #7

Jennifer we would love to see pictures and a full set of test results.

Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Tallcane View Post
    Using TFT-100. I think I need to part ways with this guy. He is kind of a jerk about the fact that I assert my own ideas.
    Absolutely ..... remember it is your pool. If he had his act together you wouldn't be here in the first place.

And ... it seems to me that a CYA level of 20 is way too low for Florida. I am in Upstate NY and run 30 - 40. Of course you don't want to increase that much until your algae is gone but i would imagine the gurus here will recommend at least 30 and possibly as high as 50.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

9. Back To Top    #9

I will have to run a full panel of test later. Late yesterday ph was a nice 7.5. CC was .5. This morning FC was still through the roof at 25. Cya was at 20 yesterday but I added a small amount of cya to try to raise to 30. Water already looked better this morning.

10. Back To Top    #10

Arrgggg. He added Dichlor even though I instructed him not add anything and not to raise the cya. Five pounds of it. How much will that raise my cya?

11. Back To Top    #11

80 oz of dichlor in a 36,000 gallon pool will raise CYA by 8.4 according to pool math.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

12. Back To Top    #12

The added dichlor should still keep your CYA close to 30 considering it was around 20 before the dichlor was added. Keep shock levels up by adding bleach.
    6423 AG Intex 18 x 48 Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter Pool Pump TF100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Kind of in the same predicament, I have had the second algae bloom in a year paying $50 a month for pool chemical service. I was upset to find out they put more CYA and copper algaecide. Im going to fire my pool service at the end of the month.
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

14. Back To Top    #14

Its weird. I have a problem getting rid of this service all together. Its not that I don't trust myself to manage the chemistry; rather, it is the idea of always having to clean the pool and pay attention to it religiously. I have a large pool with lots of trees so it gets a lot of stuff in it and I like having it cleaned once a week in addition to what I do. I have an awesome robotic cleaner but there are times of the year where dropping it in once a week is not enough to keep up. I also suffer from liking to ignore the pool for part of the year. Maybe I just need to have a cleaning contract.

15. Back To Top    #15

Updated numbers: FC 22.5, CC at 0, CYA at 40, TA at 70, ph at 7.3.

Realized I still had my SWG on at 40%. I shut it off to help lower the FC.

16. Back To Top    #16

Algae bloom

Pools can be a lot of maintenance if you have a lot of tree's around, which sounds like your case. Maybe the cleaning contract would be the way to go. Just let them clean and you take care of the water chemistry. If they want to tell you about your water chemistry and what to add or not to, just let it go in one ear and out the other. You know what the water needs and doesn't.
    I think you can handle testing and doseing what it needs. It doesn't take a lot of time for that.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

17. Back To Top    #17

I am also in Tallahassee! The stuff from our trees! WHAT A MESS!

At least you have the test kit for your own testing kit. I am sure you can find someone to JUST do cleaning. Call around and see who is willing to do what for what. Tell them that you ONLY want cleaning! NO chemicals at all and NO testing by them. Be firm with them and tell them you will NOT discuss anything other than cleaning as you have your own test kit.

What side of town are you on? I am off of the Parkway. I use the ACE Hardware for my chlorine.

Good luck!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I am over near Betton Hills off of South Ride. Use Leslie's for chlorine since it is around the corner.

19. Back To Top    #19

I love that area! Good luck on finding someone to do ONLY what you want them to do. Keep us updated on what you find out!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

This may be a case where a trustworthy neighborhood teen can be trained to be your personal pool cleaner if you can't find a service to do it the way you want it done. You could also teach them how to test and dose the pool if you wanted.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast