Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool light burned out

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light burned out

I have just discovered that my pool light is burned out. It is located in the deep end right under my diving board, and probably about 2 feet down.

Is it possible to replace myself without draining the pool below the light?

Thanks

IG gunite pool / 30,000 gal / 20'x 40'/ built mid 70's
    1.0 HP Hayward Super pump / Polaris PB4-60 booster pump
    Pentair SD-80 sand filter
    Intermatic mechanical timer (PF12222TB)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light burned out

Short answer, yes.

I don't know how, since I have an AGP, but someone will be along shortly to help.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

There is lots of info in this thread. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-full-of-water

Not sure if it addresses need to drain or not. I will have to do this at some point as well, so I'm also interested in responses!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

The light is supposed to be secured by a single screw, once that is removed you should be able to lift the fixture up onto the deck to work on it. Occasionally there are additional screws or the cord is not long enough to get to the deck, but the great majority of the time it is simple enough.

When replacing a bulb, you always need to replace the sealing gasket as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the single screw typically removable by hand or will I somehow need to get a screwdriver in there to get it out?

6. Back To Top    #6

you will need a screwdriver
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

7. Back To Top    #7

You should be able to lie on your belly on the deck. Then reach in the water with the screwdriver and unscrew the screw at the top of the bezzle. There is a little hook on the bottom of it. Tilt the light fixture out and slightly down to unhook it. Then lift the whole fixture onto the deck to work on it. (providing the cable is long enough)

WHen you put it back in, make sure the excess cable is wrapped around the fixture pretty good, otherwise, it can get in the way of getting the fixture back into the niche easy.

Note: The screw (at least on mine) is a phillips head. The screw is brass and so its relatively soft. Use the right size screwdriver to fit the head. If you dont, you risk stripping the phillips head of the screw. (ask me how I know!)
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

This video was helpful when I replaced my light. I got in the pool. I had to reseat the gasket twice. Not hard at all, just reseating my light housing was more difficult then the video because it had a tab on the bottom to line up as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTO-wYmhpVU
    Last edited by PharmerAnthony; 04-26-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: added link
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

9. Back To Top    #9

You should be able to do it without draining and as some other posters described above. Just make sure that the power is off, the circuit should be protected by a GFCI breaker that you should turn off also. On my Amerilite i did a lamp swap some days ago it was one philipps screw on the top 12 o'clock that hel the ligth fixture in place. I swapped my burned out ligth to a LED spot works pretty nice. Make sure you also use a new gasket (cheap mine was 10 USD).
    This is an easy job.
    Regards
    Rob

10. Back To Top    #10

Starting to get nervous about trying this myself. Now that the water is warm enough to get in I went down with a mask on to look at the light and noticed that the screw hole in the 12:00 position is filled in with what looks like some sort of caulk.

I tried contacting a couple pool companies in the area and both said they don't replace bulbs - just the light fixtures -- and they want $350--$400 to do it.

In case it helps for providing any insight, here is a pic of the light I took from the pool deck.

11. Back To Top    #11

The screw head may be full of calcium or just grit. Try a screw driver and see if it will turn out. Buy a new bulb and the gasket. Follow instructions on getting the gasket right.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

12. Back To Top    #12

Of course they would say replace the fixture. They make more profit from a fixture than they do from a bulb.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jmbradwell View Post
    Of course they would say replace the fixture. They make more profit from a fixture than they do from a bulb.
    Yes, unless there are cracks in the resin or it is no longer a nice honey color and you can't see the wires around the base. Having dimmer really helps the incandescent lights last longer as it cuts some of the heat even at 90% voltage.
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

That's looks like the exact same pentair light I have. You can do it, just get in there and unscrew the single screw.
    ~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

15. Back To Top    #15

So I decided to try and change the bulb out today. Went down with a mask and discovered the hole in the 12:00 position was filled in with some chalky white substance. Scraped it away expecting there to be a screw underneath and the screwdriver went all the way into the hole. WTH? Tried the other screw holes and the screwdriver went all the way in those too! I'm thoroughly confused now. How is my light even being held to the pool wall? Anyone seen something like this before?

16. Back To Top    #16

Never seen that. If you put a flat screw driver behind the ring does it pry out (gently)? Maybe it had a cheap mounting screw that corroded away.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

One other side note in case you get it replaced. This may be common sense but our builder told us never to turn those lights on if they weren't submerged. In other words if drained to replace (shouldn't be necessary) don't test until submerged. I think he gave us this warning when pool was brand new and we were filling. He told us NOT to test them until water was above them.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

18. Back To Top    #18

We just went through this. They are really easy to replace, make sure you replace the seals. There should be enough wiring to pull the light up to the deck.

The lights can be tested before you put them back in but for no longer than 10 seconds. That's what our manual says. So we just flipped the switch saw they worked and shut them off and reinstalled.

Good luck!

19. Back To Top    #19

There is a clip on the bottom that holds the light in place. Once the screw is removed you have to unclip it from the bottom. I am trying to visualize in my head how to explain it to you....let me see if I can find a picture.

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/p...9110600/3770p1

You can see the clips around it but the bottom one (at least on ours) held it in place.

20. Back To Top    #20

don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a related question. My bulb is out also, when you turn on the switch the gcfi trips, is this because the bulb is out or an indication of a bigger issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast