Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Bottom?

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam Bottom?

I am having my 24 foot round pool installed next Friday and am torn whether to use foam on floor rather then sand. One, is 1 inch rigid foam ok to use? I can not find 1 1/2", only 2" and that is 34.00 a sheet. The 1 inch is 17.00. Two is tongue and groove better or square edge? My thoughts on foam is better insulation from the cold ground and smoother floor. Is this true? Thanks for any help asap please as I need to order my foam cove in before next Friday. Is wall foam worth the $$$?
    Pool Size: 24' Lomart Whispering Wind II 13000 gallons
    Pool Type: Aboveground
    Pump:Hayward 1 1/2 HP Power Flo Matrix 2 Speed
    Filter: Hayward S230T 250lb Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Foam Bottom?

Yes, buy the foam coving.... Lots of people on here sing its praises... And a lot of AGP owners are switching to extruded foam for underneath their pools... I haven't read a bad thing about having foam under the pool yet....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

The foam bottom is personal preference. I don't have it and my floor is fine. Don't waste your money on the wall foam. It can actually increase the risk of a puncture to the liner. Imagine a piece of paper on a soft surface. It would be easy to push a pencil tip through the paper. Now take a piece of paper and place it on a table. Hard to push the pencil tip through it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I've never thought of that about wall foam Jeff... thank you for the insight... I've seen people using wall foam and I wondered what for....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick responses. I am one that needs a warm pool to enjoy and we went bigger per the wifey and I am concerned how much more trouble it will be to get it and keep it warm. I was thinking the foam bottom would help with that.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Make sure you've got a good solar cover, that will help retain the heat in the water over night...

7. Back To Top    #7

Foam Bottom?

Best thing to keep the heat in the pool is a solar cover. It helps greatly with losing heat at night.

Lacey beat me
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

jinx jeff...

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah I plan on one of those as well. Even though they are a pain do deal with by yourself. Do you all feel better about clear over blue as far as performance?

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the bottom of pool, if I stick with them using sand do you all still say foam cove over sand with the sand bottom?

10. Back To Top    #10

Foam Bottom?

They are all about the same. I have a clear one. I cut mine in half so it's more user friendly. I use solar saddles hung over the side of the pool to store it.
    Yes get the foam cove. I have it and recommend it.
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I've always wondered if clear was better than blue... And I've wondered why there are not many black solar covers for pools......

12. Back To Top    #12

go with the foam cove ... for kicks and giggles you can try to make an even cove around part of your pool with sand ... and then you will thank yourself that you got the foam cove!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about a solar cover ... so waiting for the rest of this conversation ... I really really want to swim in my "big" birthday coming up!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

13. Back To Top    #13

Foam cove it is. Lastly if sticking with sand Gorilla bottom, Armor Shield are these worth the money ? Sorry for all these questions, just nervous about doing the right thing

14. Back To Top    #14

April get yourself a solar cover. You won't regret it.
    Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

Unless you have nut grass or roots, rocks you don't need a gorilla pad. No comfort from them as they are pretty thin. You'll be fine with just sand if you don't have any of the above problems.
    Jeff

16. Back To Top    #16

Foam Bottom?

The key with the solar cover is heat retention at night and windy days.
    Leave it on when it's cloudy during the day. When you have a nice warm sunny day, little wind, air temp warmer than pool water temp, you'll get more heating from the sun with the cover off.
    Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

In my opinion the foam floor is the way to go. The 3/4" or 1" will be fine. The foam cove is great. No worry about nutgrass or other grasses. Very comfortable.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

For making a pool warm, we have had these solar panels for 5 years now, worth every penny, work great! http://www.solardirect.com/pool_heat...ng/premium.htm

Regarding the foam bottom, we just removed our liner to soaking wet sand and rust along the edge of the wall where the wet sand butted up. I wonder if we had a foam bottom it would prevent the constant moisture trap. Hmmmm.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

19. Back To Top    #19

Shelly it could have been a leaking liner that caused the moisture. If you have SWG that would make it worse. We really like the foam floor.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

If I could do it again I would have put a foam bottom in. We brought in a lot of sand, but things still migrate up thru it and I need to get the aluminum baseball bat out to smooth out the bumps. The foam cove yes too and a good solar cover to keep out the dirt when not swimming, help with evaporation & keep the heat in during the night...
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast