Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Garden Hose Metal Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hillsborough, NC

Garden Hose Metal Filter?

I was thumbing through a catalog and found this:

I have problems with metal in my well water. Assuming this works it would pay for itself in 2 seasons. I don't have the $$$ to install a whole-house filter. Has anyone used something like this? How effective is it? Can it be cleaned or can the filter be replaced? Would I still need the sequestrant?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Garden Hose Metal Filter?

Those filters can help, but they have some restrictions that are important to understand, which make them way less desirable than they may at first appear. The largest thing is that they are designed for fairly low flow rates. If you aren't in any hurry then fine, but if you are filling up the pool in the spring after winterizing they can take a number of days to raise the water level enough. Second, they remove some percentage of the iron present, never all of it. I don't know about that brand in particular, but similar products from other brands can remove perhaps 50% of the iron in the water, less if the iron level is really high to start.

The cartridges are disposable, once they have processed the specified number of gallons you throw them away and buy a whole new cartridge.

If you have iron in your well, they will lower the amount of iron that gets into the pool, and that will allow you to use a little less sequestrant. However it is quite uniquely they will remove enough that you could stop using sequestrant completely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Re: Garden Hose Metal Filter?

We have had a few members who have tried it in the past. Use the advanced search at the top right of the page and enter metal trap for links to those threads.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!