Just starting, test kit arrived today

FC. - 8
    CC -1
    TC- 9
    CYA - 0,
    TA -190
    Cal Hard- 20
    PH - 7.2

Bought a home with a pool, it hasn't been used for over 18 months. All winter I scooped out leaves and debris from bottom. Started with a local pool company 2 months ago, had me add algaecides, chlorine, metal magic after bottom turned orange, a floculant. You get the story.

I received my TF 100 kit today. Above are my numbers. I checked everything twice and cya 3 times. It is an old inground concrete pool, my guess built mid 80's.

Pool has one skimmer, one main drain, 2 return jets, sand filter with multiple settings and a 1 hp pump.

What do I need to do? Attached is a pic to get an idea of where I'm at. It has come a long way from being green!
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just starting, test kit arrived today

Welcome to TFP!!!

First, you are going to need to review this if you want to keep updating pictures: How To Post Pictures

With the not clear water and the CC > 0.5, you need to follow the SLAM Process. No need for any of the magic potions the pool store sold you.

First I would add about 30ppm of CYA to the pool (in a sock), then SLAM away assume your CYA level is 30ppm to determine the appropriate FC levels from the FC/CYA Chart. After a week, confirm the CYA level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Bleach, bleach, and more bleach, Welcome to the forum. You can figure out an approximate gallon size in pool math and base your additions on that. Adjust accordingly for the gallons used per your test results.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just being overly cautious but you're sure sure sure cya is 0? Test tube filled to top is clear as ever and the black dot is visible? Just making double triple quadruple sure. Since the pool company put so much other stuff in there I'm surprised they didn't put something in that would have added cya since they seem to love to do that..

Anyway, if you're sure you're sure you're sure, then don't let me stop you! Carry on and SLAM away!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

I had hard time with cya test at first just in addition it's important that when testing cya the sun is to your back and the test tubs is waist level. This is a difficult test to master but vital to not throwing away money on tons of each just my two cents from having been there

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry about the picture. I thought I read everything before making first post. I'm going to check CYA again, it was cloudy at the top but you could still see black dot.
    20k gallons, IG plaster. Superflo high performance pump 1HP. Hayward vari-Flo XM valve, sand filter 52 GPM.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, tested CYA again, at best I would call it 5.

The pool store has a computer to test water sample, they said CYA 55. Said that was ok.

If I'm reading the chorine/cya calculator right, with a cya of 30, I need a shock FC OF 12. Using the pool math calc on 20k gallons, I need to add 241 oz of 8.25% bleach.
    To raise cya from a 5 to 30' I need to add 67 oz of stabilizer.

I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and help.

After the pool store had me put the algaecide in that had copper, they had me use metal magic to clean up stain. I searched this forum and ended up using the ascorbic acid to remove the stains. It worked like magic, my kids were amazed!
    20k gallons, IG plaster. Superflo high performance pump 1HP. Hayward vari-Flo XM valve, sand filter 52 GPM.

8. Back To Top    #8

You are on the right track----------OWN test kit! SWEET! No pool store for you except to buy pool toys!

Keep up the pics as you SLAM the pool into a full on sparkle!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Pictures -- We love green to clean.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

There is no problem with the pictures, it is just if you try to add many more, you are going to have quota limit issues.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Jason I did not realize that there was a limit. I have added many from photobucket.com. Have I done something incorrectly?
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks like you've been studying! SLAM away!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gwc View Post
    Jason I did not realize that there was a limit. I have added many from photobucket.com. Have I done something incorrectly?
    There is only a limit if you attach the file so it is hosted by the forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Listen to these folks and trust your test kit, and you will be swimming in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbugs20 View Post
    Ok, tested CYA again, at best I would call it 5.

The pool store has a computer to test water sample, they said CYA 55. Said that was ok.

If I'm reading the chorine/cya calculator right, with a cya of 30, I need a shock FC OF 12. Using the pool math calc on 20k gallons, I need to add 241 oz of 8.25% bleach.
    To raise cya from a 5 to 30' I need to add 67 oz of stabilizer.

I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and help.

After the pool store had me put the algaecide in that had copper, they had me use metal magic to clean up stain. I searched this forum and ended up using the ascorbic acid to remove the stains. It worked like magic, my kids were amazed!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks Jason I did not know that.
    Gerry

16. Back To Top    #16

Before you add all of that stabilizer to increase your cya ... I would be a bit more cautious and only add 2/3 of that amount - then test a week later and you can add the rest if needed.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC