pool chemistry

Mar 31, 2014
South Carolina
I have recently purchased a home with an inground pool and this is my first pool so I'm not sure what to do. I've had a local pool company come out but I don't think that I can trust them completely. The water in my pool has a strong green tint. I shocked it yesterday and put chlorine release tablets in the skimmer box. Today I tested the water and below is what I got. Can someone tell what else I need to do to get the pool in shape for summer and how I can maintain it?

Pool size: 17,211 gallons, Fiberglass, Sand filter (Pentair Water), Jandy Stealth Pump Model SHPF (not sure of speed), pool installed in Aug. 2007., I use a 2 wheel suction-side cleaner as well.

I tested the water today and this is what I found: FC 5.0, CC 5.0, BR 11.0, Ph 6.8-7.2, and phosphates 500ppb
(I only have a test that will test for the above. Let me know if I need a different test.)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep, Pool School and one of the recommended test kits is what you want :smile:

If your pool is cloudy green, I suggest you order the TF100 with the XL option. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck with fantastic customer service. It is the fav kit around here. Also, I have never heard of anyone who did not really enjoy using the speedstir! It is hard to imagine doing tests without it!

When you get a moment, add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. It will help us help you. Select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button), scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select "Edit Signature".

We'll help you take control of your pool :D

Welcome, and what they all said

Now down to your pool, is it cloudy and green or clear and green? If clear and green it is most likely a problem with metals in the water. These can either be from your fill water, or can get there through the use of a mineral system or algaecides that contain metals.

Thanks for the replies. Isaac-1, my pool is cloudy green. I have read the link that was posted above in regards to pool school. I want to learn as much as I can so I can take care of my pool myself and not rely on a pool store. I will def. check into the test. Any other suggestions to get my pool water clean and clear? ( from what I read I need to get the Ph up and I need to test TA, is this correct?) I will add my pool info to my signature as suggested. Thanks again!

Test kit and pool school is my prescription.

The low pH is not being helped by adding chlorine tablets to the skimmer. Every 8 oz puck you add lowers pH by almost .2! And inside the skimmer, if the pump is off, it lowers it enormously, enough to damage things. Plus it adds CYS, which you may not need any more of.

If the water is cloudy green, you will need to SLAM. To SLAM, you need the right test kit. There ain't no way around it. Get the XL option since a SLAM is in your immediate future.

The TA reading is useful in that it can tell you whether you need to add something to adjust pH or if aeration alone will do it. For what it's worth, a CYA reading will tell a lot more about your pool's health than the phosphates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.