Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

pool chemistry

I have recently purchased a home with an inground pool and this is my first pool so I'm not sure what to do. I've had a local pool company come out but I don't think that I can trust them completely. The water in my pool has a strong green tint. I shocked it yesterday and put chlorine release tablets in the skimmer box. Today I tested the water and below is what I got. Can someone tell what else I need to do to get the pool in shape for summer and how I can maintain it?

Pool size: 17,211 gallons, Fiberglass, Sand filter (Pentair Water), Jandy Stealth Pump Model SHPF (not sure of speed), pool installed in Aug. 2007., I use a 2 wheel suction-side cleaner as well.

I tested the water today and this is what I found: FC 5.0, CC 5.0, BR 11.0, Ph 6.8-7.2, and phosphates 500ppb
    (I only have a test that will test for the above. Let me know if I need a different test.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool chemistry

Welcome to the forum. We can help you, but only if you help yourself. Start reading in pool school. Start with the link in my signature.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

This is the test kit you need to get...

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum

Yep, Pool School and one of the recommended test kits is what you want

If your pool is cloudy green, I suggest you order the TF100 with the XL option. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck with fantastic customer service. It is the fav kit around here. Also, I have never heard of anyone who did not really enjoy using the speedstir! It is hard to imagine doing tests without it!

When you get a moment, add your pool and equipment specs in your sig. It will help us help you. Select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button), scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select "Edit Signature".

We'll help you take control of your pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome, and what they all said

Now down to your pool, is it cloudy and green or clear and green? If clear and green it is most likely a problem with metals in the water. These can either be from your fill water, or can get there through the use of a mineral system or algaecides that contain metals.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. Isaac-1, my pool is cloudy green. I have read the link that was posted above in regards to pool school. I want to learn as much as I can so I can take care of my pool myself and not rely on a pool store. I will def. check into the test. Any other suggestions to get my pool water clean and clear? ( from what I read I need to get the Ph up and I need to test TA, is this correct?) I will add my pool info to my signature as suggested. Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

First you need a good test kit, reliable numbers make a world of difference, as to the TA it should be the last thing you adjust, almost as an after thought
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kmjw0808 View Post
    Any other suggestions to get my pool water clean and clear?
    Buy the test kit and read. Then read some more. Then when you think your head will explode, read it two more times. Start with the link in my signature.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Test kit and pool school is my prescription.

The low pH is not being helped by adding chlorine tablets to the skimmer. Every 8 oz puck you add lowers pH by almost .2! And inside the skimmer, if the pump is off, it lowers it enormously, enough to damage things. Plus it adds CYS, which you may not need any more of.

If the water is cloudy green, you will need to SLAM. To SLAM, you need the right test kit. There ain't no way around it. Get the XL option since a SLAM is in your immediate future.

The TA reading is useful in that it can tell you whether you need to add something to adjust pH or if aeration alone will do it. For what it's worth, a CYA reading will tell a lot more about your pool's health than the phosphates.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Buy the test kit and read. Then read some more. Then when you think your head will explode, read it two more times. Start with the link in my signature.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons