Last summer we installed a 18X36 in-ground pool and I successfully used the BBB method from day 1. There seems to be some debate about the long-run effects of chlorine exposure so to try to minimize exposure I keep the chlorine level as low as possible when people are in the pool, typically between 0-1ppm. I subsequently raise the chlorine level immediately following usage. In addition, I periodically, when the pool wont be used for a couple days, raise raise FC to burn off CC. In order to accomplish all of this I do not use stabilizer. I am sure I spend more on bleach than I might otherwise but that is a secondary concern.
I am not here to debate the long-run heath effects of chlorine exposure. What I am curious about is if you guys see any problem with how I manage FC with bathers in the pool? My guess is that bacteria is spread more easily given almost non existent FC but is this really a problem in practice, given relatively clean kids etc...?
Maybe a half-step would be to increase FC to 3-5ppm when I expect lots of little kids?
Thank you for your insights,