Help with hazy water

Mar 30, 2014
Chatom, Alabama
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread for your own questions to avoid confusion. Thanks, jblizzle

I have a problem of not clear water. Not cloudy, maybe, kinda hazy? I used chlorine strips, and one of those htp drop kits. It says that my levels are ok. I know, I know, my test kit is at the post office. Do I use a fall out to clean out the rest of the ick? My 1500 pump is running like a champ, and I keep rotating the filters to clean them out. It is a lot of yellow to beige colored "stuff" in the filter. I added 2 gallons of 8% chlorine. It sent my chlorine level through the roof, strips and drops, again. I didn't buy the four (6%) that pool school suggested. I just waste washed some of the sediment out of the bottom of my pool. Some leaves and pine straw, but not a lot. Waiting for a suggestion. You guys are great.

Re: How to clear up slightly non-clear water?

Everything is going to depend on the results from your new test kit... as soon as you get it run the tests and post the results and you'll get some step by step directions.

Until the test kit arrives, read pool school! There's a link on the top right hand corner of each page. You're gonna have to SLAM the pool so definitely read about that in pool school!

*edit*

also include some information about your pool. size, type, what kind of filter, etc. your location is helpful too! :)

Re: How to clear up slightly non-clear water?

Also moved here from other old thread that I think got lost while I was moving the others. jblizzle

I would be helpful to have the test results from your test kit, specifically the CYA test so that you can figure out how much chlorine to put into your pool. If you have an estimate of where your CYA levels are at you can plug in your test results from the strips into the pool calculator found here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html and also reference this chart for the CYA/Chlorine relationship. I don't believe you would have any adverse effects from overdoing the chlorine other then having to buy more, but I would bring your FC up to the recommended level based on your CYA and let the pump run 24hrs. As soon as you get your kit you may want to start your own thread with the new test results posted. With the new results there could be another issue at hand.

On the top right under the link for pool school there's a link for settings. On the left of the settings page there are links. Scroll down and you will see "My Settings". Click "Edit Signature" and you can add everything there. It will show up on the bottom of your posts like mine does.

Have you looked at the page for the recommended kits yet?
Most pool stores don't carry them.

Very important to get the right chlorine test. It's called FAS-DPD. Very hard to find in a store unless it's a commercial supply store. (I only know that from reading it here.)
I needed refills for mine (emergency and couldn't wait for shipping) and couldn't find them anywhere except one place that somehow got them for me from their supplier.

*edit*

duh, you have one already, I am suffering from "readtoomanythreadsandgotlostitis" lol :shock::hammer:

Haha! Don't feel bad. I live 6 miles out of town and have a po box. Just don't make a mad dash until I NEED to. Plus I can't remember ****. The test kit that I purchased isn't the one that I need, but, I just bought the pump, skimmer, tools, filters, and chemicals. That I will not be buying again. I can keep the chlorine close, but I really feel that it is my ph that is wonking me out. My well water has low to no ph. Gotta make the right corrections. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My well water has low to no ph.

Might want to read up on what pH is about.
All water will measure some pH there is no such thing as no pH.

Now while the pH of your well water might not be exactly desirable for what you want in your pool just having the pH off in itself won't necessarily make your water hazy as there is a bit more to it than that.

Do you have any test results?

Ok. Got my simple test kit. I added 3 jugs of chlorine yesterday, because my water was still a little cloudy. I did add some fall out. I know, probably a nono...but it made it fall to the bottom. Waste washed, added water today.

Chlorine 5-10
ph 7.8
alkalinity 120

What do I do now? It actually looks really good. That little vacuum is the ticket for picking up trash and not letting it go through my new pump. I kept the intex 500, and that is what I used to waste wash. We had ALOT of rain last week in South Alabama last week, with lots of trash blowing into my pool. We had about 8-10 inches here, but along the coast. BAD. Thanks for the help.

I was just wondering what kit you were using because you're using ranges from 5-10 and nothing specific so I thought it was test strips. We recommend the TF100 or K2006 but you get more with the TF100. :goodjob:

Hate to say I was being a cheapie, and didnt get the tf kit. I purchased off of ebay. Just bought the pump and skimmer. Guess that it will be by NEXT purchase. Does the tfkits give you actual numbers or do they have a formula? The chlorine was like the regular little drop test. It was on the yellow side, the color was 5-10. Looked kinda high. The alkalinity was water+ drops= green water. Drops until it turned red, count the drops, multiply by 10. 12 drops x 10 = 120 alkalinity.

Yes the recommended test kits give you real numbers for the FC and CC. The TA is the same as you have. Also includes the CH and CYA tests and another pH test. Since you have the pH and the OTO tests, the TF50 would be a good upgrade.

Ok. I know that I need chlorine after all this rain here..here are my numbers:

free chlorine: 0
ph: 6.4
TA:40
TH:100
CYA30-50

These are the numbers from the Taylor sure Track. Still got some stuff settling in the bottom. Vacuum it out with my trust little vac and the pump that I wouldn't give away, after it gets through raining, AGAIN. 7 1/2 inches a couple of days ago and at least an inch today. Not pool weather..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.