Thread: Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit

what kind of test kit do i need?
    AG 24' ( Columbia PL30-6 sand filter), 2hp 2 sp pump, cholorine, Tennessee
    Taylor k- 2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit

A quick search or reading Pool School will answer that for you.

Just get the TF-100 and have the best tool available.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Like Jason said there is a good write up on what you need and why in pool school, or (for now) you can skip that and just order the TF-100, XL option is best if your pool is green. Link in my signature, while you wait for it to come in I would suggest reading all of pool school a couple of times, link is in the upper right of this page.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

+1. I have the TF-100 and have been very happy with it and the tests I can do with it.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want to just buy what you'll need once and be done with it and have no regrets, get what I have:

TF100 with XL option and a speedstir. Yes, it's a chunk o'change, but it's a one-time thing. One trip to the pool store to buy all their testing reveals will be more than that. You'll need refills probably next year, but that goes with any test kit. And no, I have no financial stake in the company.

Reasoning: 1) More realistic quantities of the reagents you use most.
    2) The XL option is because you have less than a 1% chance of a pool store carrying the FAS-DPD refills. The others are standard Taylor stuff, so if you run out unexpectedly, you can buy them locally. But not the FAS-DPD stuff. Get it now.
    3) The speedstir makes the tests easy, fun, and accurate. Nobody who has bought one regrets it. Nobody. Use the search box for threads with speedstir in the title and you'll see what I mean.

Once the test kit is ordered, go read Pool School until you feel like this Once the kit arrives, and you run a few tests and add some chemicals and see the results, it will suddenly all make sense.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 on the speedstir. It makes me it so easy, and accurate. I can focused on color, and not mixing.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

7. Back To Top    #7

~22,000 gallon inground plaster pool, 1 skimmer, 3 return jets
    Irregular pool sized approximately 19' x 40' 9' deep, Color Splash 3G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter (part# 160301)
    1 HP Pentair Pump Model WFE-24 single speed
    Light Blue Pool Cover BBB Method

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerAnthony View Post
    Well in my opinion since we get all sorts of help on here we should buy the kit here.

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP will offer advice to all members regardless of what test kit they own or where they purchase the kit from. Part of that advice however must contain the negatives of test kits such as the ColorQ. These include the higher price (almost 2x higher the TF-100), limited chlorine range (0-10 on ColorQ), and results that we've found from past use that are wildly inaccurate.

A search will show multiple results where users were dissatisfied with this product for various reasons.