Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool drained overnight, pump was on :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool drained overnight, pump was on :(

Ohhhh . . . I'm sooooo upset! I left the vaccum in our pool overnight (like I always do), but this time I took the middle of the hose over one of the posts of the AGP so that the filter wouldn't suck it towards the intake and block it like it sometimes does. What I DIDN'T know, is that the weight of the water would bring the end of the hose over the edge, and the vaccum would suck ALL the water out of my pool. I went to empty the leaves out of the filter this morning, and was welcomed with only a foot or so of water left in the pool, and the pump running DRY on low.

The pump didn't sound like it was straining, but I turned it off (obviously!!). I'm filling it back up now.

Can I turn it back on when the water is back up, or do I risk doing more damage? What are the chances that it will be fine? I'm thinking it must have been running dry about 8 hours on low. What kind of things could be damaged from running it dry for that long . . . (translation = how much is this gonna cost me?) Also, once the water is back up . . . what's the best way to get water back thru the filter before I turn it on again?

Uggghhhhhh . . . I can't BELIEVE how STUPID I am!!
    Yvette in Burleson, TX
    AG 54" 12x24 partially buried

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool drained overnight, pump was on :(

Fill it up. Turn on pump. If it runs without noise it is likely fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I just got off the phone with the repairman, and he thinks the pump might be ok . . . his bigger concern was my liner. He said that it should NOT be drained without keeping the sides wet . . . or my liner seams will fail because it will shrink. Anyone have advice on this??? This is the first I've heard of it. When the pool was installed, I was told not to drain it since it was partially buried because the weight of the walls could collapse . . . but he said just don't leave it empty for TOO long?
    Yvette in Burleson, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a lot of should nots, but at this point those are moot, you now just need to get water back into the pool as soon as possible and see what the situation is.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Vinyl liners do lose their flexibility with age, and when they are drained the liner can shrink and pull away from the sides. Then when you refill the liner does not stretch back. There is a good chance you are okay, especially since you still had a foot of water in your pool. Has the liner pulled away from the side walls? How old is the liner?
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

I just got home, and put a second hose in. It's halfway filled now. There was probably 1 1/2 feet of water in it when I noticed it this morning. It's a brand new liner, we just had the pool installed last summer. I think the repair guy was trying to scare me into a new liner (he replaces them). I called the pool company I got the pool from, and he thinks it should be fine. He thinks the seal between the pump and the filter might be shot, but he said I could bring it in for repair if it is . . . and it's only like $65.
    Yvette in Burleson, TX

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI, the shaft seal is less than $25 I think if you want to do it yourself.

Although if the pump does not leak water, you may be fine for now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    FYI, the shaft seal is less than $25 I think if you want to do it yourself.

Although if the pump does not leak water, you may be fine for now.
    I'm crossing every finger and toe!!! I'm so mad at myself for letting this happen. My husband has taken the filter apart twice to fix all the problems we already had . . . and if I screwed it up, I'll be so upset!
    Yvette in Burleson, TX

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool is refilled, and pump running with no issues . . . . so far! Looks like I might have dodged the bullet this time!!
    Yvette in Burleson, TX

10. Back To Top    #10

If it's gonna run dry, glad it was on low. Good to hear all is well.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

Glad to hear you dodged the bullet. I will remember what happened to you and I will make sure I don't do the same thing.

Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit