Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AQ Trol RJ vs HP

1. Back To Top    #1

AQ Trol RJ vs HP

I just ordered the AQ Trol RJ for my above ground pool being installed over the weekend. After reading a lot i noticed that the RJ is to direct return jet connection vs the HP to be connected inline. Can the RJ be connected inline? My pump is 30 feet away and i am hoping the RJ just have extra adapters that once removed works just as the HP. If anybody can help with this. Otherwise, i will know on Saturday when it arrives.
    thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AQ Trol RJ vs HP

The RJ model comes with a slightly different set of connectors than the HP model, and is missing the flow switch which is required for inline usage. You can purchase the flow switch and connectors separately to convert an RJ into an HP.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks!. Order cancelled. What about the TL. what the difference?

4. Back To Top    #4

TL stands for twist-lock, and is independent of the RJ/HP choice. TL models are designed for use with pumps that have twist-lock plugs, while the non-TL models have standard plugs. Nearly everything is twist-lock these days, though older pumps are generally regular plugs. You should check your pump to see which kind of plug it has to be sure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Any experience with the Solaxx?

6. Back To Top    #6

Solaxx makes many different products. Which one are you thinking of?

7. Back To Top    #7

Solaxx SALRET20A Saltron Retro Retrofit Drop-in Salt Chlorine Generator with Timer for Pools, 20,000, amazon for $264. Easier than 500 for the Trol, good reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

But looks like I may need to run an extension, which i hate to do.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't recommend the Saltron Retro for pools over 10,000 gallons. it is usable but nowhere near as nice as the AquaTrol for smaller pools. Also, the cell doesn't last nearly as long as the one in the AquaTrol. If price is a major issue the Intex SWG is a better choice, though again it is no where near as nice as the AquaTol.

9. Back To Top    #9

i have 2 used intex units. was thinking if i could get by with them and push this for next year. but if the advantage is substantial may just do it right the first time. what do u think?

10. Back To Top    #10

How do I know if the pump is twist lock? how does it looks? Sorry for all the question but this website have been amazing. I am learning so much! My kids have bad eczema and regular pools make their eczema break out. With the SWCG they enjoy the summer and their skin actually improves substantially. This is a major investment in their fun but also in their health...

11. Back To Top    #11

A twist lock plug will look something like this one, very different from a normal plug.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here is a photo I found online showing the common types of twist lock plug shapes along with a common household 15/20 amp 120V straight blade outlet. Most likely your pump will have an L5-15R or L5-20R, I suspect the former.

Ike

http://www.lockingpowercords.com/ima...%20ADAPTER.jpg
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

OH! is the powercord? Mine looks just like a regular cord to a regular outlet. The outlet is a regular GFCI. Nothing fancy like that. I chose to put the pump next to the hose and run pvc underground to the pool rather tan running power to the pool and have an outlet sitting in the middle of the yard.

14. Back To Top    #14

So i assume the intex will work but need to run more hours while the aq trol will run great in shorter runs?

15. Back To Top    #15

How large is your pool? The Intex is rated to produce Max 7 grams/hour of sanitizer. If your pool requires more sanitizer than this you will have to supplement the sanitizer with liquid chlorine.
    http://slink.intexdevelopment.com/b2...=163---R0-1307 EN.pdf
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, the AQ Trol HP is on the way!
    24' x 54" Grand Bahama Resin (14k gals) AG, 22" sand filter 1.5 hp pump, AQ Trol HP SWG, 04/26/14