Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any way to waterproof plywood?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any way to waterproof plywood?

Hey guys I'm building a rack for a solar heater. I've gone with pressure treated lumber but now it's time to cover the face with plywood. Problem is that pt plywood is $35 a sheet.

I plan on painting it black anyway. Will normal exterior paint work to waterproof it? Maybe I'm over engineering this but I just want to make sure it stands up to the rain/snow.

24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any way to waterproof plywood?

If you want it done "right"..........bite the bullet and buy marine grade. Or how about some of that concrete type hardi board?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Once upon a time I added some Thompsons Water seal to some oil-based porch and floor enamel to paint the inside of a walk-in refrigerator. It dried almost like Melamine, similar to any white particle board IKEA-type furniture. Three years later, the next guy to paint it had a heckuva time. He didn't know and tried latex paint. What a mess!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

PT plywood (the grade you are talking about) is pretty darn water resistant and you have two things going to help it even more....

1. Putting it on the slope will really help the water drain off (paint the backside about 6" up from the bottom and all edges of the plywood)

2. Any paint adds some "seal" to the surface and will help not only in "waterproofing" but helping that water run off as well.

Edges sealed all around and painted, I'd bet on an easy 10 years out of it
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

How about tar paper and roof shingles ....
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

That'd work but it's more expensive than the pt plywood. A bundle of shingles is what, $30? It'd take three to cover the rack, plus tar paper plus plywood. Thanks though.
    24' AGP, 54" - 13,300 Gallons at 47".
    AquaRay Cleaner
    Hayward Swimpro Voyager Filter/2 Speed 2 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

How about just the tar paper then? Or black plastic sheeting?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

+1 for black plastic sheet. Btw - the track looks great.

Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd do a minimum of black plastic sheet but keep in mind that the plastic will break down over time due to heat and exposure and fall apart, peel, etc. You could do plastic and a layer of tar paper...

I'd also paint the whole thing with a latex based paint as duraleigh said. You can pick up left over paint for free at local/regional household hazardous waste facilities.
    Last edited by JVTrain; 04-24-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added HHW paint option
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Given the installation I'd use CDX plywood and paint it 100%. Since it's not touching the ground and it's sloped, it will last many many years. I wouldn't put plastic over it as that will trap moisture and cause premature failure. Several coats of good exterior paint is your best bet.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

You could use something like this instead of plywood, or on top of thin plywood for a bit stronger surface:
    SmartSide 3/8 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Siding Panel - $25 per panel at my local Home Depot.
    4ab7d8e7-11f0-4ac5-84cd-3cf938f955f5_400.jpg
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

12. Back To Top    #12

I used tar paper and roll roofing on mine, it is nice to have a dry area under the rack.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

We used porch paint with built in primer for our rack. Works great, no issues!IMG_2762.jpg
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.