Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frustrated

1. Back To Top    #1

Frustrated

Brand new mini pebble plaster. I left the forum two weeks with going to Home Depot to buy some stabilizer to get the CYA up since I had none with a total refill. I CANNOT seem to get the chlorine up and Iím super frustrated! I use the PoolMatch, add enough bleach and everyday I come home, itís 1..0 FC, 0-.5 CC. Iím in Texas, itís starting to get hot and I cannot afford an algae bloom on brand new plaster. Hereís my test results, using the TF-100 today.

FC 1.0 (after pouring 2 quarts of 10.00 bleach in it last night care of Home Depot and the night before -- testing every day!)
    CC 0
    PH 7.7
    TA 91 (and I keep having problems with it lowering as well -- in other words, it got below 80, added baking soda, got it up to about 110, and it slowly creeps downwards)
    CH 177
    CYA 40

Stonescapes Optimum conditions says the CH should be 200-400 ppm and CYA 50-80 ppm

Iím thinking Iím going to Leslieís (I know, bad word), buy liquid CYA (hated the powdered stuff) bump it up to maybe 50, put pucks in until I can get the chlorine up to at least 3 ppm. Should I be testing it in the morning to see if itís at 5 PPM and depleting to 1 PPM during the day? The pool gets sun all day. I read where my target should be 5 ppm with a minimum of 3 ppm but I canít seem to get there!

Help!
    14K IG Aggregate Mini Pebble, 1 HP Hayward Single Speed Pump 120 GPM, 175 Sqft Cartridge Filter
    In-Line Chlorinator, 360 Polaris Black Max, Sheer Descent Water Feature. TF-100 Test Kit
    Build Date 2/1994; Remodel Date 4/2014; Original Owner, North Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frustrated

How new is the plaster? The rules are completely different if you have plaster that is less than a month old. Fresh plaster raises the PH, TA, and CH levels fairly quickly for the first month, and much more slowly for up to a year after the plaster is applied.

Assuming you are past the first month, you need to SLAM the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would also suggest an overnight chlorine loss test, that way you can see if something is trying to grow in there and you are just fighting it to a standstill with the bleach
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

It was plastered March 26
    14K IG Aggregate Mini Pebble, 1 HP Hayward Single Speed Pump 120 GPM, 175 Sqft Cartridge Filter
    In-Line Chlorinator, 360 Polaris Black Max, Sheer Descent Water Feature. TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Pucks would not be the best idea with a CYA of 40 already. I would leave the CYA alone for now.

Chlorine is constantly consumable. The reason you cannot get your chlorine up is you are not putting in enough!

You would be smarter to test it at night (OCLT, as Isaac says) and that will tell you if you have organics consuming your chlorine.

read "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School if you have not already done so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well... you're adding 3.6 FC every day, if the bleach is as strong as it says. That's only a little high. How old and faded looking are the boxes? Maybe you ought to try buying some plain Chlorox 8.25% from someplace that has a rapid turnover, like Walmart or Costco, and see what happens? Or do the overnight loss test.

Those numbers look suspicious... the TF100 measures by TA and CH by 10s. As an aside the TA test can be skewed by static electricity. Try cleaning the tip of the R-009 with a damp paper towel before every drop for a few days.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You make a good point, the bottles of bleach at HD did look old. If I went to Walmart right now, and bought new bleach, put it in the pool, when could I test? 30 minutes? Because I’m game for the OCLT test tonight after I add brand new bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

30 min with the pump running would be plenty to mix it up.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Performed the OCLT test last night, lost .5 ppm overnight. The pool looks clear so I really don't think I have something eating up the chlorine. I'll continue with fresh bleach from Walmart and see where I go.

10. Back To Top    #10

What are you testing with? I agree with Richard, your numbers look very suspicious.

30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit