Q about potential suction leak and Hayward 6020

gstose

Apr 23, 2014
PR
Q1.
Hi. I have noticed that when our pool comes on in the morning (after not being on) we have very little suction. This also happens a couple of hours past my work around (see below) and the pump begins to cavitate. I have also installed a Pentair Sand shark robot and it too slows with the apparent lack of suction.

My work around has been flipping the pump off and rotating the valve to backwash, letting it run a little then putting the system back on auto and changing the valve back to its normal position. when the Pentair system turns on, Voila, suction! What is happening here? Can it be associated with Q2?

Q2., I recently fired our pool guy who was an imbecile. I believe that our Hayward 6020 has never been cleaned nor ever had any DE replaced. I know that he was back washing at times, but he never added any DE. Since I have crawled all over this system (see Q1) I can only believe that this 6020 is in need of some serious TLC. I want to open it up tomorrow and clean/inspect it. Is there anything other than the general instructions I should do to this 2 year old never maintained system other than washing and adding DE?

Welcome :wave:

Wow... you have big problems.

Were you aware that every time you switch to backwash, you lose some DE and it has to be replaced? That you can damage the filter screens by running them without DE on them?

I suspect your filter is clogged up. My advice is to open it all up and do a thorough cleaning and inspection. You might even need to replace screens. Then recoat it with DE.

There are plenty of videos on youtube, and an exploded view here

You will need a hose and a spray nozzle, some silicon lube (pool lube) and some DE to do the job. Wear old clothes.

After you get your filter where it needs to be, I think you will have to fix a suction side air leak but fix your filter first and then we'll help get that leak (if it's there) resolved.

When you start up in the morning, is there air or water in your pump basket.

@Richard - THANKS! I will crack it open tomorrow, and see what I find. ANY idea what size the Bolt is on the outside? I watched a guy on youtube clean a 6020 and he said that the Bolt/Nut was 11/16. This one is bigger than that. Cant seem to find it on the Hayward Docs either. Going to have to buy a socket to fit it....
@Duraheigh, yes. In fact there is ALWAYS air in the basket unless I do the quick backwash/back to normal trick. I have filled it many times and the water is always low. With all the intake valves closed and the robot on, it is only about half full..
@JBlizzle - JUST What I needed!

I'd just use a crescent wrench or a pair of channel-lock pliers on the nut. It shouldn't be on too tight. Channel-locks also work well when you're trying to pinch the two halves to get close enough that you can actually start the ring clamp when you're reassembling it. Just go around the lips easy until things go together. Before I forget to warn you - wear long sleeves. Maybe even gloves. The housing is fiberglass, and you can pick up stray bits when you're wrestling with it that will give you an itchy rash. Ask me how I know.

As for testing the screens, once they're all clean looking, try filling one with water. It shouldn't hold. It should be like pouring it through a pillowcase or something. It should slow it down a little, but not by much. Those screens don't actually do the filtering; they're just the bed for the DE. Picture a window screen covered with kitchen sponges. Then shrink it to microscopic size. That's what a DE filter is. The water goes through the pores of the sponges.

Fiberglass... My dad bought us kids a Sears Jon Boat when I was 12. It was green, with a barely visible white cloth under the surface. We spent days out in that boat fishing and spent every night scratching. How did you learn?

Update -

Took DE 6020 apart, rinsed, hosed, and cleaned as best i could. Drained tank. Removed particulate matter. Appears to be working very well now. Might have a leak around canister due to a frayed O ring, and metal band. Is there a metal band in the O ring? Has it broken through the rubber? Very minor leak now and will keep an eye on it.

Q2., seems to be working with very little air in system now but will see what it is doing tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update -

Took DE 6020 apart, rinsed, hosed, and cleaned as best i could. Drained tank. Removed particulate matter. Appears to be working very well now. Might have a leak around canister due to a frayed O ring, and metal band. Is there a metal band in the O ring? Has it broken through the rubber? Very minor leak now and will keep an eye on it.

Q2., seems to be working with very little air in system now but will see what it is doing tomorrow morning.
You did recharge it with DE, correct?

The O-ring is just rubber. If there was any grit or dirt on the seating surfaces, that can cause a leak. I hope you greased it up good on reassembly, too. After it's run a while, try tightening that nut some more when the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.