Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting some heavy landscape bricks out

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting some heavy landscape bricks out

Not sure if this is best section to ask this, but here we go. Started my opening SLAM late last week and have the water looking really good considering the pool sat unmaintained for 3+ years (post on the whole process coming soon). At some point while the house was vacant some kids decided throwing 30lb landscaping bricks into the pool would be fun. Now I'm wondering the best way to get these out. I know the easy answer is to go in and get them by hand. Fortunately it is the shallow end (3.5' deep), but my water temp is still really cold and to be honest I don't want to get in unless it's the last resort.

Anyone have a clever suggestion on getting these out without getting in the water? Figured maybe someone has had a similar issue or has a crafty idea that might work. There's about 5-6 in the shallow end for sure and it's holding me up from getting the last of the debris FULLY out of the pool the way they are situated. I can't get leverage with the leaf net and even if I got them in I'm almost sure it would rip the net potentially dropping onto the liner again. I really don't want to push with something either as if they catch an edge they could damage the liner. Either way I assume there's some patching in my future from them being thrown in, but over the last 2-3 weeks I have observed zero abnormal water loss. So I may have gotten lucky and the leaves already in there may have been enough to cushion the liner from the bricks (1' thick).

I know I'll probably end up getting in, but figured I'd give the forum a shot first. Forecast in the low 50's during the day and down close to freezing at night for almost the next week. Polar plunge here I come!
    18'x35' inground vinyl. ~26k Gallons
    1HP Hayward Super Pump. Jacuzzi 250L sand filter. No additional water features.
    Foreclosure pool, 3 years no use. Yes, that is a bike I got from the bottom.
    TFT-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting some heavy landscape bricks out

Hmmm....

Got any fireplace tongs or a posthole digger you could use as an extended grabber?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Add on Craigslist for a SCUBA guy to put on his wetsuit and hand them up to you. I'll bet you get a taker.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't think of any helpful solution but wanted to let you know I am thinking about your problem.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a teenager? If so, pay them $5-10 a brick. It may be cheaper than the scuba diver with a wet suit from Craig's List that Dave suggested.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

30 lbs??? that is going to be hard! The weight is what is getting in the way. Fishing net? But how do you get them INTO the net? Husband and I talked over any ideas we came up with and none would work without possible damage to the liner

The only one that MIGHT work is-----------fishing net for one person. Other person uses a PLASTIC rake and "rolls" the brick into the net. MUCH worry about the liner...........

I like the idea of an ad asking a diver to get them out.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out!

Kim

Oh wait husband says a shot or several of whisky will warm you right up LOL!!!!!!!!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Good ideas everyone, thanks! I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this one and get in. It's honestly a miracle there's not more wrong with this pool and last thing I need is a tear in the liner because I didn't want to get cold. I didn't check the weather forecast before this post for 2 days and it looks like Friday jumps up to the low 70's now that I just checked it. So I think that's going to be my best day as far as air temperature to not completely freeze my a** off. I love how in two days the forecast for air temperature can change 15-20 degrees...

I still have no idea how this pool was not winterized and sat three years and there wasn't any broken underground plumbing. Getting in the water for a couple bricks is much easier then some of the other problems I could be dealing with now. Again, thanks for the ideas and I'll try to let you all know how it goes.
    18'x35' inground vinyl. ~26k Gallons
    1HP Hayward Super Pump. Jacuzzi 250L sand filter. No additional water features.
    Foreclosure pool, 3 years no use. Yes, that is a bike I got from the bottom.
    TFT-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I would drain it down a bit and strap up the chest waders. My neo's have seen equal amounts of fishing/hunting/work time.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was in the same boat as you Tbone, I had 6 concrete blocks and a few landscaping blocks in the 9' deep end. It was a pain to clean the bottom and since the pool hadn't been maintained the pool was murky, but I could feel my leaf rake bumping into them. So I said Kowa Bunga and jumped in.

I to was surprised to find no damage done by them being tossed in so that was a relief.
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG
    Pool Size: 16500 gallons
    Filter: Hayward S244T Pro Series Top-Mount Sand Filter
    Pump: Hayward 1 HP Super Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

That's insane! What is wrong with people anyway?
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

A friend of mine had some kids do the same thing with a bunch of stones. I don't think they were 30 lbs, but they were heavy. He used a Sting Ray net, which scooped right under them. Later when I had my coping reset, they dumped a whole lot of concrete debris into my pool. I purchased the same net, and it worked like a charm where nothing else would.

http://stingraynets.com/
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

I've never seen that stingray net RobbieH! Thanks for posting... I want one!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I've never seen that stingray net RobbieH! Thanks for posting... I want one!!!
    Me either! Time to order one of those up!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.