Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinating Water During Re-Fill

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinating Water During Re-Fill

We are changing the liner in our pool within the next few weeks and I need to know the best way to handle chlorination during the refill period. The pool is around 25,000 gallons and it should take about 40-50 hours to fill with the hose based on the top off I gave it after the winter. The tap water tests at around 2 ppm FC but with no CYA that will be gone quick. The weather is finally getting consistently warm here with temperatures in the lower to mid 80's. The pool is in the sun all day. Should I worry about it getting algae started in the two days it will be filling without the pump running/no bleach added/no CYA? Should I add CYA maybe pre-dissolved to help stabilize the chlorine during the refill and add bleach also? I dont want this thing to have a chance to turn green.

Thanks,

Russ
    33' diameter, 25,000 gal Above Ground Pool
    Pentair Dynamo 1.0 hp, 2 speed pump (#340204)
    Pentair Sand Dollar 60 filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinating Water During Re-Fill

Hey Russ, I'd just fill it up and get it running as quickly as possible. If you are really worried about an algae bloom then go ahead and add some chlorine while filling... just mix it well so it doesn't settle. Once the pump is up and running, get the CYA in and balance the rest of your water parameters.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as you fill more or less continuously, you will be totally fine until at least the first evening after the fill completes.

Don't add any chemicals until you have the pump running, of if you have to stop the fill in the middle for more than 12 hours.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't need to predissolve the CYA.

Could tie a nylon with the CYA granules in it, in such a way that the flow of the water from the hose would help circulate the dissolved CYA? Do you have or know anyone you can borrow a submersible pump from? A few hours of water circulation with one of those and you can add chlorine and not risk it settling.

It truly depends on how quickly and how warm the water will get. The warmer the water the faster CYA will dissolve, but also the faster algae can take hold. Honestly I wouldn't worry about 2 days. I personally think it would take longer than that, at the worst I would think maybe slightly hazy/cloudy but the filter running and perhaps a SLAM process should take care of anything that turns up. (in other words its not the end of the world and you'll be swimming by weeks end.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

It will all depend on how it plays out with getting it installed. Hopefully I'll have time to babysit it. Our tap water is up to 63F so the water going in will be fairly warm.

Russ
    33' diameter, 25,000 gal Above Ground Pool
    Pentair Dynamo 1.0 hp, 2 speed pump (#340204)
    Pentair Sand Dollar 60 filter

6. Back To Top    #6

We just installed and filled our pool. It took 2 days and we had no problem. Once the pump is going adjust the chemistry.
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit