Waterfall stopped working

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
We've had the strangest problem with our waterfall. Pool is about 5 years old. Last year, it stopped working and I couldn't figure it out, so while the pump was on, I just jumped in the deep end of pool where there are two round grey things (returns of some sort?) on the pool wall. As soon as I jumped in, the waterfall came on. It worked great for several months and then the same thing happened. This time I just tapped on the round things and the waterfall started flowing. This has happened 3 or 4 times now, but this last time I just can't get water to come out. The waterfall is on a separate pump. I had someone come out and he just said to replace the pump. I called another guy and he said if the pump is still coming on, it's unlikely the pump is bad and that it will be $95 for him to diagnose. I'm at my wit's end on this thing. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

It is difficult to be sure, but that sounds like the waterfall pump is having trouble priming. When it isn't working have you looked into the waterfall pumps strainer basket to see if it is full of water, or if there is a lot of air?

Failure to prime is usually caused by an air leak on the suction side of the pump/plumbing. The most common cause is a bad sealing gasket on the pump strainer lid, though air leaks are also possible in other places. Examine the gasket/o-ring on the pump strainer basket lid and make sure it is in good condition, not nicked or cut, and lubricate it with a silicone or teflon based plumbers lubricant. If that doesn't help, try looking at the finding suction side leaks article in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.