whats better one intake or two?

Apr 12, 2014
lousiana
ok so im really wanting a doggy door skimmer box and will get one in the near future, but I was thinking of leaving the original intake alone and adding a skimmer and just running extra pvc lines...ive seen on here how some have it that way and how some only have the skimmer intake....which if either would be best? my thinking is the more intakes the better lol

It depends. With 2 you could get greater total flow rate, but your skimmer would only be getting half of the suction so would not work quite as well.

For example (made up numbers), lets say with 1 suction line you can get 30GPM ... so you could have 30 from the skimmer or 30 from the wall.
With 2 suction lines, you might get 40GPM total, but would only have 20 from the skimmer and 20 from the wall.
Of course with valving you could partially close the wall suction line and get a little under 30GPM from the skimmer and maybe a little under 10 from the wall.

yea I was thinking of putting valves on both if I did that.... I have th intex 633 installed on my 14x48 pool also how great would just having the one skimmer on there do vs stuff that may fall into the pool and past to top of the water?

With valves, two intakes are worth it, not required, but nice. Without valves, probably not such a great idea.

The purpose of a skimmer is to catch floating debris. It won't catch everything, but it is way better than not having a skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.