Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister.

1. Back To Top    #1

When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister.

When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister in front of the pump. The gasket was replaced recently. It could be a faulty gasket, or something else. Is there some sort of lubricant or sealant you are supposed to put around the gasket? I have some arthritis in my hands, so when I screw down the lid I probably don't screw it as tight as my pool guy who is younger and stronger than me. Could that make a difference?

I have some bubbles in the system and I suspect this is where they are coming from.
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister.

You can put some silicon lube or pool lube on it before tightening.

What kind of pump do you have? Some have notches to allow you to use a piece of wood to loosen them. If you are careful, you could use the wood to help tighten it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: When I turn off the pump, water squirts out around the lid of the leaf canister.

If you have bubbles in the pump basket and entering the pool, then you are pulling in air and quite possibly at the lid.

FYI, my old pump always squirted out water when I turned it off, but, it never pulled in air so I did not worry about it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Some pump lines normally do this because the pump lid was designed primarily to seal under suction more so than pressure. Also, for larger pumps or plumbing that runs under higher pressure, this tends to be a bigger problem and any air accumulation in the filter makes the problem worse.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I do get accumulation of air in the filter. When I backwash it sometimes blows out air for about 10-15 seconds before it blows out water.
    I have a 1 HP Hayward pump and a sand filter.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

6. Back To Top    #6

That sounds more like an air leak when the pump is running. Try pool lube on the pump lid gasket and see if that helps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, remove the O-ring and wash it with dish soap, cleaning off any sand or other junk, then lube. Sometimes it is just a bit of grass or sand. Or a need for a new O-ring, less likely.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

I removed the ring, washed it carefully then lubed it heavily with magic lube. I screwed the lid on tight. The air bubbles are gone. Thanks everyone for your help.

How often do you need to put the lube on the gasket?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TomAtlanta View Post
    How often do you need to put the lube on the gasket?
    This will be fun, cause you're gonna get a lot of different opinions. Personally, I don't lube o-rings unless there's a leak. I hooked up all of my plumbing a couple days ago, and two pump lids and about a half dozen unions had no leaks with no lube.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree. It's better if you don't have to use lube, but when you have to, you have to.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log