Opening Pool after 2 years

Jun 12, 2013
Greetings Folks,

I was unable to get my pool opened successfully last year due to a mix of ignorance, inexperience, and a lack of money. I spent over $700 total in a little over 5 weeks buying stuff the pool store was sure would fix my problems. After not seeing any real changes, I cut bait and decided not to bother anymore. The pool went from a dark green to a foggy blueish green. This year, I want to take the bull by the horns, learn what this forum has to offer, and stop hemorrhaging money trying to get a little enjoyment out of my pool. I bought the house 4 years ago (this year), and the pool has been the biggest source of joy when open, but last year it was nothing more than a stressful and expensive problem. There is a large tree that dumps leaves into the pool year round, and that makes for a little more required maintenance.

Over the winter, I got a good deal on a new but damaged Hayward S244T filter assembly. The valve was cracked from being dropped during shipment. I've ordered the replacement, and will only have about $150 in the whole thing. I plan on getting this thing assembled and plumbed in to the pool for service this year. I have also ordered a TF-100 kit which is supposed to be here pretty quickly.

My questions really revolve around strategy. I have looked, and couldn't find anything regarding where to start. I will start by removing all the leaves I can from the pool & cycling the pump non stop. Then the fun begins.... Heres what I think is correct....

bring PH in close to desired level,
raise TA to correct level,
Recheck PH and get it correct
CYA
Chlorine

If I have overlooked a how to, my apologies. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

In all honesty there really is no one place to start until you get your kit. Once that arrives then we can make suggestions in clearing your pool. For now keep clearing any leaves as those buggers always seem to add up. Your kit will be there soon.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

As Lee said, really the first step is getting the equipment running and then a set of test results to find out what needs to be adjusted.
TA is usually very low on the priority. Given the history, you may find that your CYA is very low and that may be the first thing you want to raise to around 30ppm. And then it is a matter of following the SLAM Process. Here are related articles:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Since you're waiting, like Leebo said, work on removing all the solid gunk you can from the pool. It's a pain when you can't see what you're scooping but just keep scooping/raking with a nice leaf net pole attachment. When you're taking a break from leaf/gunk raking/scooping/skimming, read up on pool school!

You'll get tons of help here and it can be done! Plus, no one here will waste your money like the pool store does!

Also when you're out, don't forget to shop around for your local liquid chlorine/bleach prices. That's the only 100% guaranteed purchase. (After the test kit of course)

We'll see if someone else beats me to it but.... everyone here loves pics!! (photobucket is a great site to use to upload pics to link here)

Welcome! :wave:

What they said.

Scoop out as much debris as you can with a leaf rake.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

When your arms and shoulders and lower back get tired, take a break and study pool school.

TA is the last thing you worry about, unless it's below 50 or above 300. You're still thinking like the pool store clerks, who want to dump everything in the water at once. Take it in order. Full test results will tell you if a partial drain is called for. If you've been following the pool store recommendations, there's a very high probability that the CYA level is way too high to SLAM the pool effectively. So don't be pouring anything in until you know what you're working with. Why balance pH and then discover half the water needs to be dumped, taking expensive chemicals with it?

Welcome Wrencher... as others have stated, get moving on scooping the debris from the pool and while on break and waiting for your test kit, devour Pool School. You will find everything you need to know and then some in Pool School.

Good Luck, keep the questions coming if you have any and post some pics!!!

I went through a foreclosure recovery that involved scooping wheel barrels full of leaves. Once your back is sore you may want to switch to a low cost device called a leaf gulper, about $25 bucks at a pool store or on amazon. It attaches to a garden hose, which creates suction, and pulls up little bags of leaves.

It's not "necessary" and not faster than a good leaf rake and lots of helpers, but I found it gave my back a break and made it possible for two of us to be working faster to get up the muck ;) After all, you don't really NEED two leaf rakes, but if you only have one around then you're stuck with the work ;) So adding a gulper instead of a second rake makes sense if you have that tree and little people who can help. I don't use it much now, but at the time it was the best expenditure I made after a good, sturdy leaf rake :)

Hello again folks. I havent abandoned the thread, I read through it and took some of the advise listed. I needed nets because my english mastiffs ate my old nets during the winter months. On one of the recommendations, I got the leaf rake ordered through Amazon. Man, what a difference from using the flat style. Im getting so many leaves though that I am afraid the thing is going to break under all the weight. So far, I am still working on removing the leaves as best I can since the sturdier pole I ordered has not yet arrived. The pool stinks, and I am getting a green slime out with the leaves, I am worried about it..... I will post up test results as soon as I receive the kit and learn the tests.

The leaf gulper seems pretty cool and I would like to give it a shot, but the ones I saw on amazon have mixed reviews. Any suggestions?

I have been lurking on the forums and site for over a year, and have read the how to's and sticky posts regarding water chemistry and others, but now that I have decided to jump in and get dirty with this method, I figured I would ask for help as my situation requires rather than going through posts related to mine. I intend on learning this thing through and through so that in the future I feel like I have not wasted another penny of my hard earned money relying on the pool stores recommendation/s.

I am in the southeast, and we have been slammed with weather so far this week. Provided the test kit makes it in and its not raining, I will be posting up my test results asap

Hi - hope you're surviving the weather :-(

I've had much experience with opening pools that have been sitting abandoned/unopened - one sat as long as 4 years. The slime is algae and rotting organic material. Scooping it all out is the first step. If you don't get the organic stuff out - it just consumes and consumes any chlorine you put in there. That's probably why you didn't make much progress last time - too much rotting stuff on the bottom wouldn't let the chlorine fully clear the water.

Silly question but have you read this article?:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3913-Turning-Your-Green-Swamp-Back-into-a-Sparkling-Oasis

Happy to help just post any questions.

Side note - don't bother testing till you can get the filter running and the water circulating. When there is that amount of gook - and you begin to treat with chlorine the filter will clog very quickly and you will need to backwash when the flow from the return becomes reduced, so keep an eye on that.

Good luck.

I had the same experience when I first used my new leaf rake. I always used the flat skimmer for everything and the first day with the leaf rake it was like "Where have you been all my life??" lol It's a wonderful tool. No idea why I waited so long to get one myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got to get all that stuff out! And I'm laughing at your mastiffs eating your pool nets! I have a Rottweiler who has eaten 2 phone books, the siding and water meter off the side of the house, and a few hunting calls of mine so I can laugh! :lol: We just got a baby boxer and I know why they are sooooo cute! :shock: :mrgreen:

so today I turned on the pump for the first time since installing my 2" pipe and the new 300lb filter. I am going to leave it on while I am at work today. It runs great. I relocated the filter and pump to a new spot away from the pool. It was previously under my deck which made working on it a pain. Well now, its super easy to get to and I am only sorry I didnt do it sooner. No more bending down and climbing under the deck to work on the pump/filter.

I tested the CYA and it is at zero, along with the chlorine as well obviously. I put about 12 gallons of bleach in to start with since I know that the sun is going to eat away at it pretty fast, and the pool is really bad. When I get home, I will test the chlorine level to see what I have. I am pretty sure that I have gotten at least 75-85% of the leaves out now. No more full bags of leaves. I am only getting a few at a time. Im still checking twice a day for about 15-20 minutes at a time.

Should I even be worried about anything other than the chlorine? Im sure I have plenty of backwashing and water replacing to do, but should I be putting stabilizer in anyway?

Please advise, and thank you very much

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.