Pumps, heaters, PVC thickness and distance

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I am getting bids now and I wanted to determine if there is a rule of thumb for the max distance from the Equip. Pad to where the spa and pool are located, as well as the ID of the PVC?

One quote is using 2.5" and 3" PVC and running homeruns from the pad to each of the two pumps. One pump is the EcoStar, the other make/model is unknown[for the scuppers] at this time and the heater is an H400, all hayward equipment.

The EcoStar is for the Spa and Pool and the other pump[?] for the 2 scuppers.

Just want to make sure everything is spec'ed for optimum performance and efficiency

Pool is 13.8K rectangular shape...Thanks for your help.

The distance from the pool to the pad can be pretty much any distance as long as the pipes are sized correctly.

The correct I.D for the pipes depends on the distance, and maximum flow rate. Of course, pipe costs go up pretty fast as the distance increases because you need more pipe, and larger diameter pipe. Therefore, construction costs have to be factored in.

Long-term efficiency is another consideration. If the pipes are undersized, you will get poor performance and higher operating cost. With correctly sized pipes, you can run at lower RPM, and therefore less power and electrical cost.

Thanks James. You accurately summarized the dynamics of the distance, ID, costs and efficiency. I will measure the distances, ID's, pumps and other and see if I can provide some data to examine - thanks you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.