Pump not turning on

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Hello all!

Just bought my first house with a pool so bear with me. I've been spending the last couple days getting ready to open, and then I tried to start my pump for the first time. There is a light switch next to an intermatic timer I'm assuming is the power to the timer, but nothing happens when flipped.

Not sure if the timer would cause it not to come on or what. I have also made sure to turn the switch on the timer to manual on and back to the timer option, but neither will make it turn on.

Any help is appreciated!

The breakers are good. Nothing is switched off. The timer doesn't turn though. I read that the gears should be going, but they're not.

Below is a picture of the timer. The cover for the wires broke off, which seems like they could get damaged quite easily. The wiring seems sound though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1154l2nunuw3yxv/20140422_192538.jpg

I found that the switch is for the light. Also, I can't seem to find labels for the pump/timer on my breaker box. I've looked for a separate box but can't find one. There has to be an on/off switch somewhere right?

You should be able to hold your ear next to the clock dial and hear the sound of it working. Next step is to start checking voltage. Do you have a multimeter and have you done any electrical work before? If you're not comfortable, you need to find someone who is, because electricity can be dangerous.

One other thing to try is to look for a GFCI trip. IIRC, pumps have to be on a dedicated circuit and that circuit has to be GFCI protected. I don't know if it's correct or legal to just put a protected outlet in the line, but if a GFCI is tripped at the outlet or at the breaker box, that could cause the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE -- I attempted to measure the voltage. I don't think any of the wires are putting out any voltage. Also, I believe I found the circuit for the pool. There is a medium sized electrical box next to the timer but it doesn't have an access panel. So not sure if there would be access to a breaker.

I know nothing about electrical so someone inform me. Must there be a on/off breaker on the electrical panel?

Picture of my setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk8qc9gzvlcsir6/20140423_185025-1.jpg

The box on the far right is the one that does not have access. The timer is to the left of it, and the pool light switch is above.

There's wiring that goes directly from the timer to that box. Also another cable that runs underground that might be for the pool light? Not sure. Would anybody recommend cracking open that box to see if there's a switch inside?

I agree. But I'm having a hard time getting it open. There are no doors on it and looks like the top comes off, but doesn't want to. Is this the proper way? The only thing it says on the front that is readable is "To reset, press button flush with circuit box" but there is no button visible.

I can take pictures tomorrow if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.