Cloudy Water as Weather Warmed Up

brentb

Oct 21, 2013
Austin, TX
Welcome to TFP! I started a new Thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Similar issue here - very slight cloudiness just started as the weather warmed up, and the FC levels are now much lower using the same percentage on the SWG. FC used to stay around 2-3 with 15-20% on the AquaPure, now I am running at 40-50% to stay in the same range. One thing I've noticed is that CYA has dropped from 80 to about 60 in the last month. I'm still new at this, so I'm not confident about the CYA level; I've been testing it with the TF-100 since the pool was built, but I've never gotten a "pool store" test to independently verify my measurements (in fact, this site has been so awesome that I never have to go to a pool store). My test today was:

FC: 2
CC:0
CYA: 60
pH: 7.5

The pool was just put in in October, so it hasn't really been hit with hot temps yet; I had to SLAM it about a month ago due to a dog poop incident, and it's been crystal clear since then. I did a backwash today (the live oaks have been dropping here for the last month, and it's a mess, but there hasn't been much organic matter dropping in the pool for the last week or so) and brushed; the filter runs 6 hrs per day and the Polaris for two hours. pH is a constant fight with salt water, but I keep it around 7.4 with MA most of the time.

My inclination is to keep pushing the SWG at 50% or so and making sure I'm not losing FC overnight. But I'm wondering if I should SLAM and/or supplement the CYA, or maybe just bring up the FC a bit with some bleach and ease back on the SWG. There's also the possibility or running the SWG at a lower percentage and filtering longer. Too many variables for me to process!

Thoughts?

Bring your FC up to SLAM level, turn the SWG off, and do an OCLT. That will tell you if you need to continue to SLAM, or can let it drift back down. If SLAM isn't indicated, changing the % on the SWG would then be good.

Welcome Brent!

I agree, you are likely seeing the start of an Algae bloom with that sudden cloudy water.

Don't worry about verification of your testing. If you have a good test kit, trust your results and go by them.

Chlorine consumption goes up as the water gets warmer, so the fact that your SWG needed a higher percentage to keep up makes sense and is normal. The fact that it went cloudy is not. I suspect it will be a fast SLAM, but I agree, SLAM it to be sure.

Make sure that as general conditions change (temp, bather load, etc) you test a little more often so that you can learn how your pool behaves under all conditions.

And good job staying out of the pool store for chemical help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.